Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to connect case fan molex to 3-pin on mobo?

Last response: in Components
October 15, 2010 9:17:13 PM

This may sound silly to all you experts here. This is my 1st build, no experience before, hence this silly question:

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590
MoBo: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 880G

The rear case fan has 2 molex connectors (1 male, 1 female, both 4 pins). The mobo has 2 fan connectors (both 3 pins, those are the real skinny short pins). MoBo manual shows the case fan connectors will go into those 3-pins. But how do I connect those fat molex 4-pin connectors to these 3 skinny pin connectors on the mobo?

Or, do the case fans get connected directly to one of the molex cables coming off the power supply (I have Cooler Master power supply, RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W)?

Thanks.

Regards,
luke22
a b ) Power supply
October 15, 2010 9:20:59 PM

I have the same case, connect the front fan to the mobo, the other one to the PSU.
Score
October 18, 2010 6:59:41 PM

Mosox: Thanks pal. I did just that. BTW, since you have the same case, how did you install the bottom-mounted PSU, the fan facing up, or down? I am not sure if that's an intake, or exhaust fan. If it's intake, then the dilemma is it will suck-up dust from the surface where the case sits. But if it's exhaust, then no problem. Thinking this might be an intake fan, I am looking for a thin dust filter to somehow screw-in at the bottom with the screwed-in rubber feet. Do you know where can I find such thin filter? The one I found has a thick rubber frame around it, making it impossible to install in the bottom of the case (with those round rubber feet).

Dipankar: Thanks boss for your help. I bought one of those adapters and used the rear case fan to the mobo connector (as I wanted the CPU to control the fan speed). BTW, bangali naki?

Luke22
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
October 18, 2010 9:40:19 PM

It's intake and it needs to face down. I don't use a filter.
October 28, 2010 12:15:25 AM

Best answer selected by luke22.
Score
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2010 2:57:59 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!