Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Spilled Milk

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2010 10:56:37 PM

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster.
My niece spilled a glass of milk on my tower and it went through the fan on top and inside the tower
My screen went blank and my pc shut off. i pulled the plug and started to wipe everything off as best as possible.
After a few days, i tried to start it up and everything seemed to work except the usb ports on the motherboard.
I went a head and installed starcraft 2 and started playing to see if I would run into any problems.
10 minutes into the game the mobo started to beep 10 times every 3-4 minutes.
Is there anyway i can diagnose the pc myslef and try to find out whats wrong?

I'm hesitant to pay $100 just so someone can tell me i need a new motherboard, so I started browsing online for the same one. (XFX MBN790IUL9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX Intel Motherboard).
It turns out that socket 775 is dead?. The only Mobo's with 775's were DDR2 and i have 4gbs of DDR3.
The cheapest mobo I found was double what I paid.

So now if all else fails, i'm planning on getting a new mobo and CPU but i'm having a hard time choosing between i5 and i7's
I'd like to make a decent purchase now without breaking my pockets or having to worry about upgrading for the next few years.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

More about : spilled milk

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2010 11:25:28 PM

Welcome to the forums!

If you want to make a decent upgrade now it would probably have to be with the Core i5 750, not much point with an i7 if you're mainly gaming. Otherwise you could try an AMD Phenom II X4 or X6 if you don't mind overclocking, apparently AM3 will be the first platform with AMD's new Bulldozer processors.

If you don't mind waiting though, end of this year/beginning of the next AMD and Intel will be releasing new processors based on new architectures (AMD = Bulldozer, Intel = Sandy Bridge).
August 7, 2010 11:33:52 PM

Try contacting XFX. They have a very good warranty, so you might be able to get them to replace it. It might be best if you don't mention the milk. If that does not work, try looking on ebay.

Good luck.

Ian
Related resources
August 8, 2010 2:23:58 PM

You aren't alone there with the milk!!! Back a few years ago my daughter spilled a full glass of chocolate milk into my tower, it too shut off. Since I built the system myself I unplugged it and took it apart and put it in the sink and ran hot water on all of the components till they were clean. MB, CPU, Memory, VC. The only component I didn't soak in hot water was the Power Supply which I just replaced with a new better one.
After soaking in hot water I turned the oven on to 150 and let it preheat. Then I placed all parts in oven and let bake for 3 hrs or so and then pulled them out and let them sit for awhile to cool. Then reassembled it and it fired up and ran great till I rebiult it a couple of years later. One thing it didn't get on was the HDD....don't know if that would take a swim very well, but all the other parts worked like they did before the milk bath.
I also spill stuff on my keyboard and just put it in the sink and soak it then oven it and all is well and it works fine.....as long as they are not energized when soaking they shouldn't be hurt by the water as long as they are totally dry before reenergizing!! Just FYI for the future....stuff happens like that....be prepared to be creative!! =-)
August 27, 2010 8:02:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. It turns out my motherboard was malfunctioning so I ended up purchasing the only motherboard with socket 775 & DDR3 ram from Newegg.com.
GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-USB3P LGA 775 Intel P45 USB 3.0. When I opened the package, I noticed the ATI Crossfire label on the box of the motherboard. The graphics card i have is PNY VCGGTX260CXPB GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card. Will this card run on my new motherboard?

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2010 8:04:17 AM

Yes, the GTX 260 will work in your motherboard, however, you won't be able to use two GTX 260s in SLI on that motherboard, at least not without certain 'hax'.
August 27, 2010 6:42:24 PM

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the helpful information. Much appreciated.
August 27, 2010 6:42:32 PM

Best answer selected by jj13.
!