Sign in with
Your question

New Build need help desperatly.

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2010 11:48:16 PM

Hi All,

This is the first time i have ever posted on a forum, but its been about 4 years since i last built a pc from scratch.

I recently bought the following components and got them together and i am now having problems gaming.

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 BE
Memory: 4GB Corsair Ballistix DDR3 1333 7-7-7-24
Video: XFX GTX280 XXX Edition
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Sata II
PSU: Powercool 550w Modular 80+ Bronze

plus standard sata II Dvd rewriter.

In windows 7 64bit ultimate doing everyday tasks its absolutly fine, I have noticed sometimes i get mouse freezes but everything seems fine when i unplug the wireless dongle and put it back in.

I played crysis on ultimate high graphics for about 40 mins and everything seemed ok. I had also tried far cry 2 but that would only go so far then freeze crash to desktop and tell me that the graphics card driver stopped working and has now recovered.

But i tried to play crysis again today and it goes black and then the pc shuts off completly and then takes a min or two before i will let me boot up again.

I have never come accross these types of problems before but then again i have never built a PC of this kind of gaming spec.

I suspect that this may be a power issue and have just placed an order for a 750w PSU but i am no longer sure of anything.

Any help by anyone would be much appreciated right now.

Thanks

Lee

More about : build desperatly

August 8, 2010 12:00:47 AM

I wouldn't trust that PSU either, which power supply have you ordered?
August 8, 2010 12:01:39 AM

OH Forgot to mention.

CPU Cooler : CM Arctic Pro Rev 2

Temps.

Cpu Idle 36-39c
CPU Load 46-49c

GPU Idle 50-55c
GPU Load 75-86c
Related resources
August 8, 2010 12:18:15 AM

If you can cancel that order, then do so. As for £60 you can get much better power supplies, even if they state that they have less wattage.

I also believe that the one you just ordered is an "850W" Powercool - google the manufacturer number, comes up with nothing but Powercool. They may be nothing alike internally, but it is possible, so if your current one is causing problems then I think it's possible that the CIT will as well.
August 8, 2010 12:26:15 AM

for that budget what would you recommend? as i am at a loss to this and i dont even know if the psu is the problem, its a whole new build so its not like i added a couple of components and then found it didnt work.

Thanks
August 8, 2010 12:35:04 AM

From the three sites I checked (ebuyer, OCUK and scan) one of these:
Be Quiet Special Edition White 600W E7 £60
OCZ StealthXStream II 600W £55
Corsair TX650 £60

TBH I think it probably is a power issue, as the quality of the power coming out of that Powercool probably isn't that high and your system is probably stressing it's actual capacity (whatever that is) quite a lot under a gaming load.
August 9, 2010 6:35:28 PM

Let me know how it goes.
!