UT99 - Linux questions...

Hello

Always played ut on windows machines before now, and kept my linux stuff
to headless servers - but now I've moved across to Fedora pretty much
completely. (Most of the apps I use are native to both OS's, so no big
wrench)

Have got UT running smoothly and playing online, but have some questions
about the differences from the Windows versions:

1. No Mods tab? (So you can "Force default models" and get rid of cow
and nali) (Was along the top, between stats and help, iirc)

2. Pure kicking on some servers with "impure client" - known issue?

3. Can you window UT, or switch with it in the background - if so, what
keys? (Alt-tab and alt-enter don't work...) (Running OpenGL with
Nvidia's latest drivers)

Thanks!

--
Flash
8 answers Last reply

    Flash enlightened us with:
    > 1. No Mods tab? (So you can "Force default models" and get rid of
    > cow and nali) (Was along the top, between stats and help, iirc)

    Which version of UT?

    > 2. Pure kicking on some servers with "impure client" - known issue?

    No idea.

    > 3. Can you window UT, or switch with it in the background - if so,
    > what keys? (Alt-tab and alt-enter don't work...) (Running OpenGL
    > with Nvidia's latest drivers)

    Depends on your window manager and/or desktop environment.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    Flash schrieb:

    > 1. No Mods tab? (So you can "Force default models" and get rid of cow

    Unfortunately, yes. I miss that one, too.

    > 2. Pure kicking on some servers with "impure client" - known issue?

    Not that I know of :) I've never been kicked out of servers with my Debian
    since then.

    > 3. Can you window UT, or switch with it in the background - if so, what
    > keys? (Alt-tab and alt-enter don't work...) (Running OpenGL with
    > Nvidia's latest drivers)

    That one's tricky. KDE offers an ALT+TAB (you can change the key combo
    though) like in windows, but i wouldn't rely on that. Instead, bind
    "togglefullscreen" command to a key and use that. For me it's F11. Very
    comfortable and the fastest way.

    > Thanks!

    Happy fragging!

    --

    Bora Ugurlu
    mailto:boraugurlu@yahoo.de

    Bora Ugurlu wrote:
    >>1. No Mods tab? (So you can "Force default models" and get rid of cow
    > Unfortunately, yes. I miss that one, too.

    Ah, I've fixed that one now. Bonuspack 1 installs it. :)

    >>2. Pure kicking on some servers with "impure client" - known issue?
    > Not that I know of :) I've never been kicked out of servers with my Debian
    > since then.

    I've been told it's some versions of pure not liking any client < 451,
    but I'm not sure.

    Flash wrote:
    > Hello

    <snip stuff>

    > 2. Pure kicking on some servers with "impure client" - known issue?

    It's bloody well been a problem for me. I've been kicked for an impure
    client from most of my favorite servers and end up having to boot into
    windows to make it work. It's been a problem on both Mandrake 10 as
    well as Fedora Core 2.

    Also, I've noticed some servers are now wanting you to install some sort
    of .dll to play their servers. Is this a problem under linux?

    -->Jeff

    --
    jgentry46 [at] yahoo dot com

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    jgentry wrote:

    >> 2. Pure kicking on some servers with "impure client" - known issue?
    > It's bloody well been a problem for me. I've been kicked for an impure
    > client from most of my favorite servers and end up having to boot into
    > windows to make it work. It's been a problem on both Mandrake 10 as
    > well as Fedora Core 2.

    Apparently the 451 patch fixes it, but I haven't had to install that yet.

    > Also, I've noticed some servers are now wanting you to install some sort
    > of .dll to play their servers. Is this a problem under linux?

    Qvalidate? Anti-cheat stuff. V 111 is supposed to be linux compatible,
    but earlier ones certainly aren't.

    --
    Flash
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Flash wrote:

    > Hello

    Hi Flash,

    > Always played ut on windows machines before now, and kept my linux stuff
    > to headless servers - but now I've moved across to Fedora pretty much
    > completely. (Most of the apps I use are native to both OS's, so no big
    > wrench)

    'Bout time too :)

    > 2. Pure kicking on some servers with "impure client" - known issue?

    Yes it has been an issue, I don't recall which version of Pure did it but
    the cure was to download the Pure files from the Pure site and copy them
    into your ~/.loki/system directory.
    FWIW I haven't had that problem for quite a while now.

    hth

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284 Mdk 10 2.6.3-16

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:44:38 -0500, jgentry wrote:

    >> 2. Pure kicking on some servers with "impure client" - known issue?
    >>

    > It's bloody well been a problem for me. I've been kicked for an impure
    > client from most of my favorite servers and end up having to boot into
    > windows to make it work. It's been a problem on both Mandrake 10 as well
    > as Fedora Core 2.

    This is an install prob (IIRC). There are 2 or 3 different installers for
    linux depending on the version (Orig, GOTY or Totally Unreal) of the game.
    You've got to hunt down the correct installer for your version and use
    that. If you had to manually decompress some (nearly all) of your maps,
    then you were using the wrong installer for sure.

    --
    {AGUT}DeadMan
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    {AGUT}DeadMan wrote:
    (Me) >>>2. Pure kicking on some servers with "impure client" - known issue?

    > This is an install prob (IIRC). There are 2 or 3 different installers for
    > linux depending on the version (Orig, GOTY or Totally Unreal) of the game.
    > You've got to hunt down the correct installer for your version and use
    > that. If you had to manually decompress some (nearly all) of your maps,
    > then you were using the wrong installer for sure.

    It only happened once, and only with one specific version of Pure. It
    may be an installer issue, I did have to de-uz the maps since I have
    Euro Totally Unreal and couldn't find such an installer, so I used the
    436 GOTY. Not convinced that's the culprit though - more likely Pure
    instabilities.

    The bigger problem with the 436 hassle with saved passwords refusing
    connections, and the huge and nasty problem of Qvalidate and UTDC not
    having working linux options (Although UTDC does give the option of
    turning off checking for linux clients, which is only right since I
    don't think there are any non-uscript aimbots for Linux. (FWIW, the
    uscript ones were the first, I think, and the easiest to check for)
    We've had to change servers for several cupmatches because of Qval and
    UTDC.

    Anyway, to return to initial issue above - never happened since I
    applied the 451 patch. Solved a bunch of other issues too. I can
    recommend that patch for linux clients having played with it for a while.

    --
    Flash

Linux Video Games