Sign in with
Your question

1st-time Builder AMD Gaming for iRacing 3-monitor Build ~$1,000 US?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 16, 2010 12:41:42 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This Week

BUDGET RANGE: ~$1000

SYSTEM USAGE: Dedicated system for triple monitor set up for iracing.com, fps and reliability key.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitors (3x 22" WS), speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg or Tigerdirect

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD

VIDEO CARD: Reading good results on iracing forum w/5850 + 5870 setups but I defer to the experts.

OVERCLOCKING: Would prefer to use components within their reliable parameters as I'm I noob. If I need to worry about cooling, please recommend...

CROSSFIRE: If needed, to support the res I'd be pushing. Or, for future-proofing.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 5760x1080 if feasible at this price point

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Windows 7 64 bit. I think I'll also need an active VGA-DVI adapter to support the third screen if I've researched correctly.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.
October 16, 2010 1:40:21 AM

*Sorry if i repeat anything anyone said, it took awhile to get this together*

I personally don't like the AMD Phenom x6 series. I think its a waste... :)  So with that in mind...

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 if you can OC and 970 if not (You will prolly have to OC them anyways)

OR

Intel i7 930 (And you can OC it)

GPU: I like your idea with the ATi Crossfire, but SLI talks better, works/scales better...

SO

Two 470's in SLI (Its going to be hard to get something within your price range if you want to have SLI/Crossfire. 470's are about 300$ apiece, and the 5850's are right around that) 480's would be perfect but they are around 400$ apiece.

OR

Your idea with the ATI's...

Mobo: I used to know good mobos for each modern Socket, but its been awhile so i would go to Newegg.com. Then go to Computer Hardware-Motherboards-AMD/Intel (Whatever you have chosen)-Advanced Search-Select the right socket type for your CPU-Select two PCI-e x16. Go through and find the ones that have SLI (For Nvidia) or Crossfire (ATI). Then go through reviews. Mobos are hard becuase there are many duds and people give 1/5 eggs on ones that are great. Go through each review, sort them by reviews that sort of thing :) .

PSU: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp (Plug your final rig into the calc and you will get the Wattage. Go 100-300 Watts above what it says so you can maximize its life. PSU's tend to degrade after awhile.)

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... (The first page is full of GREAT cases. They are larger cases so you have room to work around with the two GPU's)

Issues: IF you are SLI/Crossfiring get the I7. The AMD MIGHT be enough but not but much. You will have to OC in the end to get the full potential of those two very expensive cards. And the Phenom II x6's are almost identical to the x4's except it has two extra cores. Apps/Games can't use those extra cores so those just suck up energy... Also, if you OC, you will need to grab an extra heatsink...

I don't know much about iracing... But i do know that if you want to play modern games across monitors it will be EXPENSIVE. 1000$ is a slim price to pay :lol: .

If you have any more questions ill be glad to answer :p .
m
l
October 16, 2010 1:48:13 AM

With some research, i acaully take back my recomendation to use the 470's. Use the 480's if possible. But if not, then take two 5850's. Or the thing you were talking about. Price per performace is great compared to the 470's.

All of the hardware can be found on newegg.com. :) 

This is a great article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/quad-sli-nvidia-sur...

Haha now that i read that, you COULD scrape by with two 460's.
m
l
!