Sign in with
Your question

New to building 1500$ limit like to spend less

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2010 12:17:56 AM

I hope you can help me I'm a first time builder my brother can do any of this he's amazing but I want to try on my own to pick parts and let him help if I cant get them to go together right lol.
I plan to purchase as soon as possible
I plan on using my 27 inch sync master tv/monitor I can get windows 7 ultimate 64 bit from my school for about 10$ :)  and I already have a 4890 I'm leaning toward making this more like a 800-900$ purchase by not getting the new vid card I want and using the 4890 which I bought for me very old 4000+ amd system it worked amazing and I have had less than a year it's a xfx xxx edition but u thought about getting the new 5870 from xfx the 2gb version for 510 btw I use new egg
I think I want to use the intel i5 760 it's good enough for any game and will give me great performance on the CPU in general vs a dual core or dual core with hyper thread I see no real need for a i7 . I was thinking for a mother board I'd use the gigabyte p55A ud3p There is a combo on new egg for 16 off making this processor and mobo 350$ for ram the 7 cas lat 1333 Eco ram from g skill seems right and only 102.99 price seems right too. Um 95$ for western digital 1tb hard drive black caviar has 64 mb cache at 7200 rpm. I really want a stylish and cool case I found one I fell in love wi and seems to be very very good it's a Coolmaster acts 840 rc I like the silver one it's all aluminum and has 4 fans already with it um there's a combo with the psu silent pro also cool master modular and 600 wats seems enough and modular so it's easy fir me and cooler still and quitter looks great combo is only 240 . And then a couple lig scribe 24x drives for 25-30 each so as is it's like 850 with the 4890 or 1350 to get the 5870 I'm leaning toward sticking with my d10 and goign with this build but I picked all these parts form online research and reviews in new egg and then google if I liked how it looked from the egg I want to know the parts I'm getting are good before I make a purchase and if I should switch something any opinions help with explanation if you want me to take it serious sorry fir typos and walk of text without links I'm on my iPhone lol try to edit this with links in my laptop. I welcome any and all advise as I said vie die a lot if independent reasearch but I'm a complete newbie at building and I am very excited thanks cameron smith
August 8, 2010 12:32:44 AM

Well the first thing you want to do is view the very first thread in the new build section, then fill out the how to ask for help template and post it here. It makes both asking and receiving help much more simpler.
m
l
August 8, 2010 2:03:58 AM

- I am no longer on an Iphone so this should work our better

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as possible

BUDGET RANGE: 700-1500 lower is better i figure bigger budget is more options a lot depends on keeping video card or upgrading it

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming , working school , excel , multitasking ie music game alt tabbed 8 internet windows and downloads at same time without loss of speed)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: have keyboard, have mouse, have monitor- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , speakers, Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit from school only 10$

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (e.g.: Grand Fenwick)

PARTS PREFERENCES: intel, quad core, ddr3, 4-8 gigs 2x2 sticks, big names ie xfx not power color long lasting > absolute best

OVERCLOCKING: no

SLI OR CROSSFIRE:no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
the build i purpose

want the case i saw was thinking of combo on new egg like almost everything about the case wanted full tower and aluminum and silver looking this is all of those and had 4 stock fans looked good and had combo with a psu that looked great was modular silent and 600 wats http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

RAM maybe 4g maybe 8g http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Mobo processor combo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Hard Drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Couple of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And possibly the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
but unlikley

OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS AND CHNAGES thanks for the help
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2010 3:47:47 AM

Ok now we can help you.

Click on image to get a better view.

Total $1286.92

1. Kept the same cpu mobo combo.
2. kept the same case and psu but bumped it up to 800w (for future overclocking and/or crossfire)
3. added in a xfx 5870, you dont need the 2gb edition and at the resolution you should upgrade your gpu instead of keeping the old one. sell the 4890 and add that to your budget or to pay for the new build.
4. Samsung spinpoint f3 is faster and cheaper.
5. Mushkin Ram at 1600mhz and CL7 + cheaper than g.skill eco but both will work fine, and you wont need 8GB stick with 4 for now and if you need it later on add it in.
6. sorry forgot to add in the optical drive add $30 on total.
7. I added the Zalman CNPS10X Performa, great cooler. (for future overclock maybe)
m
l
August 8, 2010 5:21:03 AM

I thank for all the links also for letting me know i need thermal compound. Did you pick that ram simply because it is cheaper i just saw the 1333 was what was supported by both mobo and cpu. It had lower power use but with 20$ mail in if its no difference that's 25$ i saved for free i just thought lower voltage was better like is aid i don't know much. the better psu is a good idea i think gives me some room for future endeavors IS the zale fan worth it for non OC i dont plan on doing that since it ruins the chops warranty unless im mistaken? will it help keep it longer if i upgrade it and leave at stock ? also what will be difference in 32nm chips comapred to this chip will it be a higer clock ? will it cost more should i wait adn if so how long do i have to wait ??? is taht article solid Thanks for responses sorry to ask further questions now im wondering if i should wait on this new board / socket and see what video cards are out in that time frame but i might buy the rest of system now anyway to amke sure i dont waste money and maybe even extended my budget more ???
m
l
August 8, 2010 5:23:43 AM

The Motherboard can handle up to 2200MHz but thats overclocked so the 1600MHz ram should be fine, lower voltage is better but seeing as how it's a higher frequency & cheaper it shouldnt really matter.

The Zalman is a great cooler, it keeps my i5 750 overclocked to 3.8Ghz below 55c at full load. If you dont overclock then dont worry about it the stock cooler is fine, and yes it does void your warranty.
In terms of wating for new graphics cards you might want to reaserch up coming releases.

The 32nm chipset is Intels next gen chipset, currently the only 32nm cpu's on the market cost a bit more than the average cpu. No one knows how the pricing will work, and I belive the 32nm will be launched mainstream mid next year but I'm not to sure on this. If you really want to "future proof" your system, I belive there are the x58 chipset boards that supports 32nm cpu's (not quite sure) so you will have to reselct your mobo(x58 chipset),cpu (1366 socket) and ram (triple channel config). But of course that might reqire you to extend your budget a bit.
m
l
!