ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hey community,

Just got a Corsair Force GS few days ago, and I am really happy with it. It's my first SSD I ever bought, and I want to take care of it. So far, I know you don't defrag SSDs, I also disable system restore. But I heard people to disbale drive indexing. What is drive indexing? Why should I disable it for my SSD, and will it affect my computer?

Solution

Windows update will take a system restore checkpoint before updates and at some other intervals.
You can do so yourself if you want an image of your software prior to doing something that you might wish to back out.
The main knock on it is that it can take up valuable ssd space. You should have a sufficiently large ssd in the first place so you don't have to manage space.
My take is to keep it simple.
Don't do a thing.
Windows automatically disables defrag for a ssd.

I would not disable system restore. It provides a valuable function if you should contract a virus or botch an update.
Drive indexing let's windows create an index to files for faster searching. From a performance point of view it is academic because the ssd is so fast.
But, it turns off the search function which can help you find things.

Do not worry about extra updates. Your ssd will be long obsolete before you can do enough updates to exhaust it's capacity.

what you want to do it put the system restore info on your data drive. there are online video and steps on how to do that. you also want to put the windows swap file on the data drive. little windows things like cache writes will wear out a ssd faster then one uses normal read/write.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Uhh, so it's a bad idea to disable system restore? I used to use system restore for once, but it totally screwed up my entire system. Some of my programs were deleted, files were deleted... That's why I don't like it at all.

Windows update will take a system restore checkpoint before updates and at some other intervals.
You can do so yourself if you want an image of your software prior to doing something that you might wish to back out.
The main knock on it is that it can take up valuable ssd space. You should have a sufficiently large ssd in the first place so you don't have to manage space.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS