Sign in with
Your question

Windows vista 64 maximum useable ram

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2010 7:39:59 AM

Hello,
Vista 64 can recognise huge amounts of RAM, I have 8gb and would like to ask just how much RAM can be used by the OS ie if I upgrade to 16 or 24Gb will it reconise and use or will the OS recognise and not use this amount of RAM say Adobe entire suite CS4 plus CAD and various other processor intensive apps?
a c 81 à CPUs
October 16, 2010 9:41:43 AM

The 64 bit OS will surely recognize all the amount of RAM.. Usage however is application specific.. Thus, the amount of RAM assigned to any app is dependent on the amount of RAM needed by the app in real time (i.e. at the time of running).. No app and/or OS will use any amount of memory more than its requirements at the time of running/processing..
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2010 7:09:41 AM

Thanks, I use multiple windows open whilst rendering in premier or after effects like photoshop and sigma suite to convert RAW files to JPEG multitasking. Someone had recently mentioned to me that the sofware cannot use or call on more than a limited amount of RAM. I am out of touch by 18 months on the current CPUs and RAM and saw that most high end systems come with 24Gb of RAM. My system is three years old (at least) a Dual Quad Core Dell Precision. Thanks again and yes, I will look at 7
October 17, 2010 8:01:58 AM

It depends on many factors such as your motherboard and OS version. There are other variables, as well.
!