BSOD possibly related to RAM.

hool10

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I built a computer back in 2008 and everything runs right except that sometimes it just crashes. Now the error codes are always related to RAM. The funny part is in the past once the logs piled up a bit, the BSOD would stop completely. However I recently added 1x2GB of RAM and a 750GB HD. So what I did was check the RAM first. I ran extensive tests with memtest and there was no problems. Then I checked the HD for errors and came up with nothing.

Reading up on RAM issues I found out that sometimes the BIOS incorrectly gives you wrong voltage on the "Auto" setting and it turns out probably since 2008, I have been running my RAM at 1.98V-2V. They should be running at 1.8V. So upon contacting Gigabyte I got really stupid replies meaning that I'm probably on my own and you folks. Gigabyte said to run 1 stick, that I should leave it on "Auto" and that I mixed RAM (which I didn't). My system is as follows:

RAM: 4GB total DDR2800 1x2GB, 2x1GB same timings, everything is the same, timings are 5-5-5-18
GPU: GTX 260
CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R V2.0
HD: 1x500GB, 1x700GB running in SATA
PSU: XCLIO GREAT POWER 650W

Sometimes a game will lock-up, crash, or my computer will just BSOD. I also flashed my BIOS in hopes that I could manually lower the voltage however there is only a "OverVoltage" option.

So you have 3 sticks of ram? Are you aware that you cannot run in dual channel mode with 3 sticks? You need 2 or 4 sticks.

What ram is it? (model number)

Usually s775 boards default to 1.8v and you have to raise the voltage for higher voltage memory, never seen it the other way around like your saying.

hool10

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Well to run it in dual channel mode I put the 2, 1GB sticks in slot 1, 2 and the 2GB stick in the 4th slot. The BIOS says that it's running in dual channel mode. A-DATA AD2U800B1G5-DRH is the RAM model #.

TRENDING THREADS