Low-end MSI: crap, or is it just my bad luck?

I ordered a low-end kit from tigerdirect.com, which included an MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 motherboard. Right out of the box, it would not post if I put DIMMs in each of its slots. After much back-and-forth with the manufacturer, they agreed it was defective. I was able to return it to tigerdirect for replacement since it was within their 30-day limit.

The replacement board worked for about two months, then things got really unstable. A few minutes after that, no more network connectivity: the onboard network interface has failed. This is a Linux/Windows dual boot arrangement, so I booted into the hated Windows to see if the networking issue was somehow software-related. Same result: no network.

I called Tiger and complained as politely as I could: it isn't right to be selling junk like this to your customers. Give me a credit against a board that doesn't suck. No can do, they said. Take your case to MSI. Now, I know MSI will probably honor the warranty and exchange the damn thing. Do I really want a third junk motherboard? I have already invested an extra $25 for an add-on card to provide an additional SATA port.

Option: go spend about $20 on a NIC and see if it works.

Option: get MSI to exchange the board.

Option: give up on the board and replace it with something like http://www.jr.com/asus/pe/ASU_M4A785M/

I am torn between frugality (ok, cheapness) and impatience. I want relief, but I want it sooner rather than later and I can pick up parts in Manhattan tomorrow.

What would you do?

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about crap luck
  1. I would send the board back to MSI and have them return your money and go with the asus board.
  2. I have never had a problem with MSI and I have been using them for years. But after so much trouble that you are going through right now. I would say go on and do what Almartin said and send the board back to MSI and buy that ASUS Board
  3. Thanks. I haven't inquired but would be willing to bet a pint of beer that MSI would replace the board, but would not refund my money. I don't think those are the terms of the warranty.

I broke down and got a new NIC -- we'll see if it works. If not, good! I will toss the MSI unit and get an ASUS and move on.

Thanks again.
  4. For the record, I owe MSI a little apology. There does not seem to be anything wrong with the motherboard I was given to replace the one that was defective.

I just tried installing a new NIC and I still had no network. Scratching my head, it ocurred to me to try rebooting the router I have here courtesy of Verizon.

Ding!

Then I tried connecting the ethernet cable back into the onboard network interface that I suspected of being the point of failure in the first place.

Ding!

Now I can schlepp back to the Best Buy and return the NIC I didn't need. :??:
  5. Oh poor old MSI, but like I said I never had problems with MSI. But there are certain people who have bad luck with brands. Like I love ASUS and MSI but some can't stand either haha
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards MSI-Microstar