Upgrade from a 4850 to a GTX 260

Hey everyone, I have been out of the loop a bit on hardware and would appreciate a bit of advice.

I have a custom built machine with a Phenom 2 X3 720, 4 gigs of DDR2 800, and a motherboard with PCI-E 2.0.

Currently I am running an HD4850 512MB video card and I got an offer to buy a GTX 260 for $120.

Here's the deal, I know that it would be a bit of a performance boost but the thing that concerns me is that the 260 is not the revision, so it's not the core 216. It's the old one.

I am running a 1080p monitor and everything I play runs at full settings without a hitch. Is it worth $120 to upgrade from my 4850 to an old GTX260?
8 answers Last reply
More about upgrade 4850
  1. If all you're looking to do is upgrade for the sake of saying you upgraded, save your money. You're not going to have a better gaming experience if you're already playing "at full settings without a hitch."
  2. Nah, I was going to upgrade because a friend upgraded to a 5850 and wants to get rid of his old card.

Question 2. Is the 260 worth $120? I know someone else who is running onboard video and he will need a card for SC2. Would it be a good deal for him?
  3. $120 might be a touch on the high side for the 192 core flavor. Checked ebay completed listings and looks like the 216 core varied from $110-$140. StarCraft II won't need that much power either. A much less expensive GPU will do the trick. So unless you want PhysX, I wouldn't worry about getting the 260. If you do, sell you're 4850 down and pay for half the 260, though that still doesn't seem like a good value transaction for you in the end.
  4. Thanks a ton, guys. When I worked in a tech shop, I got paid to stay up to date on this.

Now that I'm out of the industry, I'm out of the loop. I will let the guy know that I will pass.
  5. I'm just going to tell my buddy to go buy a 4770. Those look like they are going for about $100 and I'm sure that will play SC2 with his quad core just fine.
  6. If you can get the 260 for $100, that would beat the 4770. But what kind of PSU does your friend have. If this is a prebuilt, might be limited in what they can get.
  7. It's a prebuilt HP Media center pc. I think it has like a 400 watt. There is no way in hell the 260 will run on that, so I think I will suggest he head the ATI 4000 series way.
  8. Best answer selected by chris13th.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics