Flash drive Vs. External laptop HDD enclosure. For portabl..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 28, 2004 11:04:26 AM

I am htinking about getting some type of external storage for my
laptop. The main thing is I want something easy to plug and unplug and
is powered by the USB connection so no other power source is needed.
I am looking at a Lexar 1gb flash drive or for a little more money I
am thining about getting a external USB powered HDD enclosure for a
2.5" 9.5mm laptop 40gb drive.

What would my best option be? I like the idea of having 40gb portable
storage space anywhere I want but are there any reasons I should get
the flash drive instead of the 40gb enclosure?

I know the external HDD is a little bigger (5"L x 3"W x .75"H) I don't
mind the slightly bigger size. My main concerns are, will the external
drive be much more sensitive to shock ocmpared to the flash drive and
will it be too sensitive to shock to be usefull as a portable drive to
caryy in a laptop case? and will the external drive get too hot, it is
USB powered but I don't know if it will get hot like a desktop drive.

This is my first laptop so small external storage
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 28, 2004 1:29:42 PM

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 28, 2004 8:29:48 PM

mpj13@hotmail.com wrote in

> I am htinking about getting some type of external storage for my
> laptop. The main thing is I want something easy to plug and unplug and
> is powered by the USB connection so no other power source is needed.
> I am looking at a Lexar 1gb flash drive or for a little more money I
> am thining about getting a external USB powered HDD enclosure for a
> 2.5" 9.5mm laptop 40gb drive.
>
> What would my best option be? I like the idea of having 40gb portable
> storage space anywhere I want but are there any reasons I should get
> the flash drive instead of the 40gb enclosure?
>
> I know the external HDD is a little bigger (5"L x 3"W x .75"H) I don't
> mind the slightly bigger size. My main concerns are, will the external
> drive be much more sensitive to shock ocmpared to the flash drive and
> will it be too sensitive to shock to be usefull as a portable drive to
> caryy in a laptop case? and will the external drive get too hot, it is
> USB powered but I don't know if it will get hot like a desktop drive.
>
> This is my first laptop so small external storage

I have the Lexar 1GB flash drive (as well as a couple other such flash
drives) and am very happy with it, but 1 GB is not a lot for backup
storage. You might be better off getting a USB hard drive designed for
this purpose (I'm guite pleased with mine).

--
Tom McCune
a b D Laptop

<mpj13@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am htinking about getting some type of external storage for my
> laptop. The main thing is I want something easy to plug and unplug and
> is powered by the USB connection so no other power source is needed.
> I am looking at a Lexar 1gb flash drive or for a little more money I
> am thining about getting a external USB powered HDD enclosure for a
> 2.5" 9.5mm laptop 40gb drive.
>
> What would my best option be? I like the idea of having 40gb portable
> storage space anywhere I want but are there any reasons I should get
> the flash drive instead of the 40gb enclosure?
>
> I know the external HDD is a little bigger (5"L x 3"W x .75"H) I don't
> mind the slightly bigger size. My main concerns are, will the external
> drive be much more sensitive to shock ocmpared to the flash drive and
> will it be too sensitive to shock to be usefull as a portable drive to
> caryy in a laptop case? and will the external drive get too hot, it is
> USB powered but I don't know if it will get hot like a desktop drive.
>
> This is my first laptop so small external storage

I use a 256 MB flash drive almost daily for transferring files, but I don't
think of it as backup.

When I'm traveling, and have important files I want to backup, I burn it to
CD or DVD. The new DVD's let you put a lot of data on one disk, and new CD
burners can burn several hunderd MB in just a few minutes. I save the
complete backups for when I get home--that's where an external HDD (or an
ethernet connection to your desktop) comes in. I wouldn't advise carrying
the external HDD around with you when you travel, unless you're going to be
gone on extended (more than a week at a time) trips. You probably won't
want to take the several hours needed to do a complete backup while you're
traveling, and you'll be exposing the drive to a lot of extra bumps along
the way.

If you're going to the trouble of buying an external HDD, I'd suggest you
pay a little more and put it together yourself. Get a replacement drive for
your laptop and an enclosure, then make an exact image of laptop drive.
That way, if something does go wrong with your laptop drive, you can just
swap in the drive from the enclosure and go.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 29, 2004 3:10:04 AM

I put together my own external HDD with an enclosure and a full sized 7200
RPM 120 GB drive.
The performance is good however the drive gets very warm so I never ever use
the drive for more then 2 hours. And yes the USB Flash drive is immune to
shock. I even put it by accident in the washing machine and it still works!

My advice get both a USB Flash drive and external HDD.
Just my 2 cents
Dave

!