Wireless Router Suggestions?

bbrownatl

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I’m looking to upgrade our home router. Right now, I have just the basic Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router. I’ve looked at reviews on CNet and other sites, I’ve got it narrowed down to the following (or at least I think I have it narrowed down). Here are the two:

D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Router - $84 on Amazon - OR
Belkin Wireless N+ 802.11n Router - $80 on Amazon

Now, how about a router “adapter”. I see that Belkin has one to hook up to a desktop (Belkin Wireless N+ 802.11n USB Adapter). That is another $55.

Any suggestions appreciated. FYI – My main usage is that I have DSL running into a modem and the current Linksys router and then I have two laptops and one desktop connecting via the wireless. The other desktop is in the basement and gets an ok signal but it drops from time to time.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Brian

bbrownatl

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I'd like to keep it under $150 total. I was looking at routers in the range of $80 or less. If I need an adapter, I ok spending up to $50 if that contributes to a good bump in speed.

bbrownatl

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833314040&cm_re=belkin_usb_wireless_adapter-_-33-314-040-_-Product

If you have another computer with internet connections, download the software first.

I do have another computer that I connect via the wireless network. My main computer with router is on the main level of our house and then my other desktop is in the basement that connects via a wireless card.