SSD's and RAID 0 (noob)

Ok guys/gals, I am new here and I have a few questions that I have yet to find the answer to, I hope you can help.
NOTE: I am not seeking your critique of my PC build or my intended use of my SSD's. RAIDing will happen one way or another so use is irrelevant.

After several days of searching and reading countless articles, I still havent found what I'm looking for, and thats is proper and accurate information about SSD's and setting up a proper RAID 0 Array.

I have just finished a new PC build, all except the SSD's (specs at bottom). I intend to put HDD's to rest and pick up the fast yet affordable Mushkin Enhanced Chronos (debating on 2x or 3x 240GB or 4x 120GB). I would like to know what type of performance increase I would see using 4 SSD's in R0 vs 2 higher capacity, from what I've heard, the more HDD/SSD in the array, the faster the performance (please correct me if I'm wrong). What type of things I should change during the setup. What size (if any) partition should I make (windows 7). Would it be better to R0 2 SSD's instead of 4, what would I lose/gain. Well Im sure you get the picture. I would like to know as much information as possible before I spend $400-$500 on SSD's. Thank you for your time.

ASUS Z77 Sabertooth MoBo
i5 3570k OC 4.2GHz
16GB GSkill Sniper 1600MHz
MSI Lightening GTX 680
Corsair AX850 PSU
Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme CPU Cooler
6 answers Last reply
More about raid noob
  1. For brute performance, 4 x 128 GB SSDs would theoretically perform best. If you are benchmarking, then this is the way to go. However, for real world use, I question how big the difference will be as RAID 0 scales well but not perfectly and 256GB SSDs are inherently quicker (in some cases).

However, I am planning on going with 2 x 256GB Samsung 830 SSDs in RAID 0 for $418 total in a future build. There are a few reasons for this:

- Performance of 2 x 256GB SSDs is awesome enough
    - My motherboard has only 2 x SATA3 6 GB/s ports. (So does the Z77 Sabertooth)
    - Less messy power connectors and SATA cables
    - Cheaper (sometimes)
    - More reliable. With more drives comes an increased chance of 1 SSD messing up.

I hope this helps.
  2. Yeah, I wouldn't go with raid O - a single SSD is going to be more than fast enough anyways, and raid doesn't help them much.
  3. I agree with Jay-Z. 2x256GB ssd's should do the trick.

If you want to go 4xssd's then you would have to get a new raid card (these can be really expensive) because you you cannot raid across raid controllers. The raid can only exist within the same raid controller.

personally I would not go for a RAID0 setup - ever! i feel if you want to go raid, at least get some redundancy! 3xdrives in raid 5 or 4 drives in raid 5 wouldnt be a bad idea. Yes you do trade off some speed for redundancy. I dont see the point in spending 500$ on something that is vulnerable to loosing data.

Just my 2c
  4. Yeah, good points jihtu.

I should have told you that the 2 x 256 GB was also paired with a 3TB Caviar Green. I plan to have daily automated backups onto the storage drive so if the drives did get corrupted, I could format them and then rebuild the RAID array from the HDD.

Currently, I have a single SSD which I backup on an external HDD just in case.

RAID 1 is also a good option as you get true redundancy and sometimes better read speeds for slightly less write performance compared to a single SSD.
  5. Thanks for the replies, as it does help, it hasnt answered all of my questons. And thanks for the 2x SATA 6GB/s point. I misread that, I thought there were 4, and while there is, 2 of them are eSATA. So in that case I will go wiith 2x 240GB SSD and do a RAID 0. What type of read/write do you think I would achieve with 2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226356 .

Its 560MB/s read 520MB/s write, I would assume I should see somewhere closer to the 700-800MB/s. I do SOME graphic design and at times have rather large files to transfer so I want the speed so I'm not sitting here for an hour waiting.. plus I'm just a speed geek, thats why I can't own a fast car ; ). I also do some online gaming, so I would like the smallest amount of latency when gaming in competitions.
  6. I don't know much about the Mushkins. However, here is a list of benchmarks which should explain how SSDs scale in various situations:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/ssd-raid-0-charts-2011/benchmarks,120.html

Here is another SSD comparison
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/51455-intel-520-240gb-ssd-raid-0-performance-review-3.html
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD NAS / RAID Storage Product