Sign in with
Your question

2x 2TB HDD's in RAID0 or 120GB SSD

Last response: in Storage
November 1, 2012 10:20:54 AM

Hey, I'm currently still getting components for my custom build and have been doing so for the past year or so. I'm current deciding on what storage option to go with, I already have a 2TB 7200RPM HDD and im wondering whether to get another 2TB 7200RPM and RAID0 them or alternatively get an 120GB SSD. I plan to use the computer for gaming and therefore require FRAPS to perform properly and cause minimal fps drops.
a c 378 G Storage
November 1, 2012 11:01:35 AM

A SSD will be fatser than a two drive raid 0. If you plan on booting off the raid, you'll need an OS that supports booting from a GPT/GUID partitioned drive since the raid volume will be over 2TB.
a c 86 G Storage
November 1, 2012 12:31:43 PM

The SSD is the way to go, because it reduces the seek time by ten. raid0 only increases the bandwidth a little bit, but that only matters for very large files, not the os or games.
Related resources
November 1, 2012 12:35:21 PM

The price/capacity ratio for HDDs is much better and is more convincing, will fraps be effected if I chose the HDD route and also what sort of boot times should I expect?
a c 378 G Storage
November 1, 2012 1:58:32 PM

The price/capacity ratio is indeed better for hard drives, but this doesn't make it convincing. People have been shedding their raid arrays for the faster SSD's. If you can't afford or justify purchasing an SSD, then go with the hard drives.
!