dotty248

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Looking at either $180-$200 for the 260 or Newegg has a 465 for $250. My question is if the extra $50-$70 for the 465 worth it over the 260? Or would another card be recomended in the same price range?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this weekend

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Primarily gaming (FPS mostly including Crysis, COD and RPG like Oblivion)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Corsair 750TX (upgrading for the new card)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Athlon II x4 635 at 3.45 ghz with 8gb DDR2 on an MSI 785-E63

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm trying to stick to a Nvidia card for the possibility of adding the 3d vision later on

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Connected to a 50" DLP at 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Thanks for the help, these forums have been very educational on other subjects but I had a hard time finding a good price/performance comparison of these cards head to head!

The 465 is more powerfull than the 260 but not by much. I would either wait for the 460 or save up a bit more for the 470. Your PSU does not need to be upgraded, you have more than enough juice unless you decide to go SLI in the future.

I agree with this. I just bought and installed a GTX 470 ($275 after sale & MIR) from NewEgg.com. The GTX 470 goes for about $350 normally, but I think we're about to see a price drop based on ongoing sales and some rebates being offered.

So far I'm not terribly impressed with my GTX 470. Admittedly there's a lot of tweaking for nVidia to do with drivers, so I'm holding out on my final decision. But I used to have a GTX 260 Core 216 SLI setup that benchmarked quite a bit faster in some cases than my GTX 470 (using 257.21 drivers).

465 All the way. 260 is old tech

Keep in mind though Psycho, as you know from my Benchmark thread, two GTX 260's in SLI is faster than a single GTX 470.

However, if you want to adopt the new tech (DX11 & Tessellation) I can't see doing less than ATI 5850 / GTX 470 based on the performance I'm seeing with my GTX 470 compared to my old GTX 260 SLI setup.

Just wait till you step up to 470's in SLI bro :lol:

Considering the $275 for the GTX 470 was money I should not have spent, SLI won't be happening any time soon.

Although putting Metro 2033 in DX11 mode with High (not Very High) settings was pretty to look at. Too bad I can't bare to make myself play that game again. :( Beautiful, stunning graphical game, but boring and way too linear.

I just want nVidia to tweak their drivers enough so my GTX 470 performs at least equal to my two GTX 260's (since I've sold one of them already).

dotty248

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Thanks OvrClkr, jerreece, and Psycho for all the quick replies and opinions, I will def be looking at the GTX 400's now.

One thing I noticed in the 3d review that was linked on here, after overclocking the 465 actually outperformed the base 470 in all the benchmarks they showed. Are there major concerns or benefits to going this route to save a little money and still achieve the performace of the 470? Fyi I have never oc'd a graphics card only cpus so I would be a beginner doing this.

Thanks again!

dotty248

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Thanks again for all the input, I think I'm going with the 465 for now and I'l have to learn a little more about overclocking a GPU. And if I decide I need more there is always the Evga step up program!