Beginner need help on putting together new system!!!

Hey guy, got a couple of questions I really need an answer to regarding putting together my new system. I've not had to put together a PC for almost 6 years now, so my somewhat limited knowledge of computer components are mostly outdated, from what I've gathered from the net, and based on my budget, this is what I've come to:

AMD system:
MB: Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ <---- For upgrading to new CPU when it releases
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition <----- As recommended for budget build, will only last me until a few month into new AMD CPU release.
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) (8-8-8-24) (1.5V) Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 <----- WILL THIS WORK??? 1.5V vs. 1.65V???
Graphics: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100327VXL Radeon HD 6750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 <--- Motherboard spec says PCI-E 2.0. WILL THIS WORK???
Power Supply: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V <---- Is this enough power for when I buy another HD 6750 for crossfire?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are pretty much my main concerns, I don't really care about the other components since they will be upgraded as time goes by and the choices are pretty generic anyways like case, hd(6gb 1T caviar black), but my main reason for using this set up is because I'm expecting to be able to eventually upgrade to a octa-core AMD with 16GB ram and either SLI or Crossfire. But right now, the biggest concern for me is will this set up work. TOMs used 1.65V Crucial memory for testing the Sabertooth 990FX (Is that the voltage of memory I should be using for this board and why?) And is the power supply sufficient for this build. Any input would be much appreciated, also if there are suggestions on alternatives at similar price, by all means let me know.
8 answers Last reply
More about beginner putting system
  1. Bump hoping to get some advice before I decide to just go with the setup.

    Video card change to: HIS Radeon HD6850 as per TOMS recommendation
    Power supply: changed to a better deal combo, OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular
  2. Shang005,

    I suggest waiting a day or two to give more of the experts a chance to find your post before you make up your mind.

    The Radeon 6850 card is definitely a better choice than the Radeon 6750(6750 is just a rebranded 5750) both for speed and crossfire performance.

    I am also looking at getting that Sabertooth 990FX board. One thing I noticed is that it has ASUS Any memory is A-OK! feature. That memory should work although it may not default to DDR3 1600 with that CPU. Just depends on what the MOBO has to do to configure the memory to work.
  3. I would not choose a Raidmax power supply.
    The XFX (XXX= modular) are seasonic builds and very good.
    Corsair has some excellent models, HX 750 modular? or AX?
    Seasonic X series are the best.
  4. JKatwyopc said:
    Shang005,

    I suggest waiting a day or two to give more of the experts a chance to find your post before you make up your mind.

    The Radeon 6850 card is definitely a better choice than the Radeon 6750(6750 is just a rebranded 5750) both for speed and crossfire performance.

    I am also looking at getting that Sabertooth 990FX board. One thing I noticed is that it has ASUS Any memory is A-OK! feature. That memory should work although it may not default to DDR3 1600 with that CPU. Just depends on what the MOBO has to do to configure the memory to work.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Thanks for your reply and suggestions, with the last part in mind, is it something I can correct on my own to fully utilize the memory as DDR3 1600, or is it possible that it would only be treated by the MOBO as a DDR3 1333 that I can't do anything about.
  5. walterm said:
    I would not choose a Raidmax power supply.
    The XFX (XXX= modular) are seasonic builds and very good.
    Corsair has some excellent models, HX 750 modular? or AX?
    Seasonic X series are the best.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    Thanks for your reply and suggestions, and I have looked up the models you recommended and they look very solid, albeit their price, currently I'm running on a budget of $1000, and if given the extra money saved from these non-essential parts (comparing a 500w PS with a 750w PS for example in current build). The extra money would probably go to something I would not change in the next 2 years or so, such as the video card. My plan is to change out the CPU, add an additional GPU, and more memory, the power supply only has to last me up to 6-8 month, and then I will change it out for something better, and for the value of it $30 after Mail-in Rebate, I think it's a good deal?
  6. shang005 said:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Thanks for your reply and suggestions, with the last part in mind, is it something I can correct on my own to fully utilize the memory as DDR3 1600, or is it possible that it would only be treated by the MOBO as a DDR3 1333 that I can't do anything about.



    Chances are pretty good that the memory will work as spec'ed right away but many motherboards require that you manually setup the timings to get it to run the memory at the max possible speed. I think that a lot of the memory modules just default to DDR3 1333 to make sure that they work. The manufacturer often sets them up that way. Just means that you have to do a little tweaking in the bios.
  7. Hey Shang,

    I am actually putting together a build using the Sabertooth 990FX and Phenom II x4 955 as well...I think we have the same idea in mind.

    The PCIe 2.0 and 2.1 are back compatible with one another so you should not have any problems there. If you are still concerned about it, I am using the GTX 560 ti which uses PCIe 2.0. It is quite a step up price wise from the 6850, but there is an overclocked GTX 560 (using PCIe 2.0) selling for $189.99 on newegg which is much closer in price.

    I hope that helps. Good Luck
  8. illanights said:
    Hey Shang,

    I am actually putting together a build using the Sabertooth 990FX and Phenom II x4 955 as well...I think we have the same idea in mind.

    The PCIe 2.0 and 2.1 are back compatible with one another so you should not have any problems there. If you are still concerned about it, I am using the GTX 560 ti which uses PCIe 2.0. It is quite a step up price wise from the 6850, but there is an overclocked GTX 560 (using PCIe 2.0) selling for $189.99 on newegg which is much closer in price.

    I hope that helps. Good Luck


    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I think I looked at that too, and decided to go with ATI products just because of the best recommendation for the price month of May from toms guide, I think I might up it to a 6870 though for the extra $40 or so.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards