Hard drive partitioning

maynerz93

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
hi, i know this is a noobish question but do i need to partition my hard drive?
at the moment my hard drive is split into C and "system reserved". is that partitioned or not?

You don't need to partition unless you want to. You currently have two partitions. one is your C drive, the other is the hidden system reserved partition. Do not delete the system reserved partition or you most likely won't be able to boot your OS anymore. If the C drive is your OS drive, then don't delete that either for obvious reasons.

maynerz93

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012

thankyou hawkeye22, do you reccomend have a extra artition anyhow for data ect. or is there no point if im going to back it all up an external hd?

Again, it's your call. If you are one of those people that likes to do a clean install of the OS regulary, then I suggest you make a smaller partition for the OS and a larger partition for data. this way you can blow away your OS partition and reinstall without effecting your data (movies, pictures, documents,...). Of course, repartitioning now will require a reinstall of the OS or a partition manager that can alter the partition table without destroying any of your data (not always full proof). In either case, I recommend you make backups since anytime you mess with the partition tables you risk loss of data.

maynerz93

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
ah that makes sense, windows partition manager only seems to want to give up half the space off the c drive so im left with near enough 250gb for my os drive if i were to partition, would you reccomend any 3rd party partitioners?