RPC server not available after upgrade from 98 to XP

Thing is, this is not a client/server machine - it's freestanding.
But I cannot get the HP 1012 printer reinstalled.
I've reinstalled XP; uninstalled and deleted all the HP files, then
reinstalled; checked the Computer management console (both Print Spooler and
RPC are started); done the hokey-pokey . . .
I'm stumped. PLEASE help!

Check Event Viewer for errors.

--
Regards,