Asus P8P67 - Realtek LAN

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Asus
  • LAN
  • Realtek
Last response: in Motherboards
June 10, 2011 8:57:00 AM

I'm doing as many are, and trying to choose a P67 mobo for an upgrade. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Asus P8P67 or P8P67 Pro. I'm not interested in SLI so that isn't an issue. The only other difference I've seen is that the non-pro uses a Realtek LAN chip, and the Pro uses an Intel chip. I'm aware of the differences in performance (the Realtek being faster but using more of the CPU), and I doubt either will matter to me. However, some have said they've had problems with the Realtek LAN disconnecting. Is this something that many experience? Am I likely to have a problem when only using the LAN socket to connect to my router with a non-Gigabit socket? (that may change in future though).

It's tempting to spend the extra for peace of mind, but I don't have the money to waste if it's a problem only very few people have.

Great forums here by the way, that I've read for years but this is my first time asking a question. :) 

Thanks everyone.

More about : asus p8p67 realtek lan

June 10, 2011 3:56:20 PM

zackarydoo said:
I'm doing as many are, and trying to choose a P67 mobo for an upgrade. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Asus P8P67 or P8P67 Pro. I'm not interested in SLI so that isn't an issue. The only other difference I've seen is that the non-pro uses a Realtek LAN chip, and the Pro uses an Intel chip. I'm aware of the differences in performance (the Realtek being faster but using more of the CPU), and I doubt either will matter to me. However, some have said they've had problems with the Realtek LAN disconnecting. Is this something that many experience? Am I likely to have a problem when only using the LAN socket to connect to my router with a non-Gigabit socket? (that may change in future though).

It's tempting to spend the extra for peace of mind, but I don't have the money to waste if it's a problem only very few people have.

Great forums here by the way, that I've read for years but this is my first time asking a question. :) 

Thanks everyone.

Do not get the P8p67 Pro! I have it, it works good but it is a waste of money. There are so many issues with it even after the B3 release. Double posts, cold boots, sometimes even triple posts when overclocking. I've tried all the sata ports and they all make the same double boots. They advertise easy overclocking but I doubt you will keep it stable or just have it reboot all the time. Eventually having to put it back to stock settings. Choose a Gigabyte P67 board they look better anyway. Or if you really want an Asus board get the Sabertooth P67. P8p67 is a bad choice.

Dont get me wrong though P67 lineup is a great upgrade. Just don't get the Asus board, the new EUFI is just a hassle.
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2011 4:01:10 PM

I would stay away from Asus P8p67.

You sound like you've done some research, but not enough.

Try googling "p8p67 boot issues" or p8p67 sleep issues".

Id go with MSI, Asrock or Gigabyte or go with the Z68.
Related resources
June 10, 2011 4:01:44 PM

I have a P8P67-Pro B3 step and it works very well also under overclock (4GHz on a 2600k, but it is more than enought for me). In any case the lan works perfectly with 1Gbit connection trasfering up to 100MB/s (avarege is 60MB/s) in my local lan.
NO disconnection problem, neither instability.
It works great.
For me it is better intel that keep low usage of the CPU, but with the new processor I think it is not a problem if a bit oc the CPU is use for tranfering file.
Hope it can help.

June 10, 2011 4:04:13 PM

Thanks for that - Interesting comments. I really want to give the new EUFI a go, and I'm still determined to, but I'm concerned about these other problems. I've read about the double boot thing and other stuff too. I currently have a Gigabyte 775 mobo but was put off going with them again as I wanted the EUFI thingamie. Otherwise I like Gigabyte and have used them before too.

I'm wondering about ASrock now, as many people say they're worth it. I'll keep researching - I have 2 ish weeks before I'm able to afford it all anyway. Cheers!
June 10, 2011 4:09:10 PM

Thanks to the later replies too. I have read about the problems in my research but it seemed to be the minority who had them. Now I'm not so sure. Well I'll keep on reading I guess.

Geminii - Ok that's good to hear that you aren't having problems with the Realtek LAN at least.
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2011 4:29:39 PM

I am using a P8P67 (plain-vanilla version) and I have had none of the double-post issues, even with the internal pll overvoltage enabled. I think you would be fine with the P8P67 Pro. I would note that the best benefit of the P8P67 Pro is the Intel LAN -- the RealTek LAN does seem somewhat buggy, particularly with non-Windows operating systems.

If I had it to do over again, I would buy the Pro version just for the Intel LAN.
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2011 5:50:05 PM

That's great that you had no problems with yours, I'm sure thousands of people don't, but I'm also sure that thousands of people do.

Thanks for sharing.
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2011 6:20:16 PM

geekapproved said:
That's great that you had no problems with yours, I'm sure thousands of people don't, but I'm also sure that thousands of people do.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your sarcasm.

My point is that it's clearly not some major design issue. That is, I don't think I'm just so lucky that my board was not manufactured to badly-designed specs. I think, in reality, that there are a few people out there that have had a board not manufactured to the spec and are vocal about their dissatisfaction.

Who are the outliers? Me or them? Well, I'm going to guess that since ASUS is still in business as a profitable company, folks with bad boards are the outliers...

There is no way Asus could stay in business having to build two boards for everyone one they sell: one to send out first, another to send out in response to an RMA.
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2011 12:13:27 PM

Did you bother to google the words I mentioned above????

If you did, you would see that it is a MAJOR design issue. lol

Oh and as far as RMA, Asus has had to replace ALL P67's that were sold before the B3 revision, as has every other manufacturer due to defective sata ports. So yes they certainly did have to build two boards for every one they sold.

Secondly, I'm specifically referring to the p8p67. They sell 50 other models, so a problem with one model in particular would not cause them to go out of business. lol

Thats like saying Toyota is going to go out of business because one of their cars had trouble with a sticky gas pedal.
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2011 4:04:38 PM

geekapproved said:
Did you bother to google the words I mentioned above????

If you did, you would see that it is a MAJOR design issue. lol

Oh and as far as RMA, Asus has had to replace ALL P67's that were sold before the B3 revision, as has every other manufacturer due to defective sata ports. So yes they certainly did have to build two boards for every one they sold.

Secondly, I'm specifically referring to the p8p67. They sell 50 other models, so a problem with one model in particular would not cause them to go out of business. lol

Thats like saying Toyota is going to go out of business because one of their cars had trouble with a sticky gas pedal.

I'm going to "google around" to prove your point. You prove it to me with links. You prove to me how it is a design issue and not several isolated events.

Here's what I know -- my P8P67 works fine. Others' P8P67s work fine, but there are some who have bad P8P67s. How can you prove it's a design issue and not a manufacturing issue? How can you prove that just by looking at how many people are reporting failures?
June 13, 2011 8:47:12 PM

Probably poor quality control? It seems all the brands are having poor QC.

Gigabyte has issues with 1155 boards if you read the reviews and comments. With some power loop problem?

What if you buy a separate Intel NIC if you are unsatisfied with the Realtek LAN? I think Realtek probably cuts corners with their LAN hardware since they have so many. Maybe Intel can afford to have a better quality LAN overall?

Seems to be a real annoyance though to have to spend an extra $40 or so to go with a board with an Intel LAN. :-/ Hardware LAN NICs are about $30 to $50 and Intel has a bunch of choices. If you have a network card, would that mean it's not utilizing any CPU?
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2011 11:03:59 PM

Pretty much there were problems with the first 1156 boards and the first 1155 boards.

I blame Intel quality control.
!