Sign in with
Your question

Need help/advice for pre-build system upgrading

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2010 6:38:44 PM

Hi everyone. I recently found this deal:

HP Pavilion p6510f Desktop: Athlon II 630 Quad-Core (2.8GHz) CPU, 4GB DDR3, 750GB HD, WiFi N, DVDRW w/ Lightscribe, Win 7 Home Premium 64bit $416

I am going to upgrade with this or something similar if not this:

GPU and PSU:
GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video CardOC at 900MHz-------OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

Will overheating be a problem? I'm a bit worried that the ventilation is not good enough. One of the reviewer comments stated it came with a 92mm fan.

*I know I could build, but I can't. Won't go into specifics.
*Comments seem to be solid about the quality on this pre-built.
August 8, 2010 8:52:53 PM

I have the same CPU you as that system and 4gb DDR2 and upgraded to the same graphics card number, maker is Sapphire with a OCZ 550W PSU. Works pretty good for me. Starcraft II and WoW run on ultra settings with 45-60fps unless a ton of action then it goes down to 30 fps or so. Mine was a pre-built Dell Inspiron at stock.

As for heat, when running SCII for long periods of time (3-4 hours) and there's a lot of action I can reach 80c, and the system idles at 40c. That's pretty warm but won't kill your system, if you're worried about that being too hot i'd say put another fan in the side of the case (cut and make a hole for it on the panel that pops off).
m
l
August 8, 2010 11:31:34 PM

I don't believe I have the tools to go making a custom mount like that immediately. Is there any other way for me to mount a fan in the case? Or is there a simple way to go about that?
m
l
!