Sign in with
Your question

WhaT? 257.21 can damage your card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 2, 2010 7:27:19 PM

Hi guys. Yesterday i bought GTX 470. And of course i downloaded 257.21 WHQL.
Cause this the newest drivers. Then i found on google some this:

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/graphics-sound-cards-spe...

WTF? Is that true? Is any risk of this drivers to damage card? If yes, why nvidia put that drivers to download;// Or this is bullshit , what some guy talked. Please help and answer what is true.

More about : 257 damage card

July 3, 2010 3:29:05 AM

Driver is a software, i'm pretty sure it won't hurt your card...
Unless you flash the card bios with the wrong flash then it probably could ruining your card.
Don't worry about that, if you have a problem with a driver, you could uninstall it and get the other driver(older/newer) and install it again... :) 
Related resources
July 3, 2010 7:03:55 AM

wa1 said:
Driver is a software, i'm pretty sure it won't hurt your card...
Unless you flash the card bios with the wrong flash then it probably could ruining your card.
Don't worry about that, if you have a problem with a driver, you could uninstall it and get the other driver(older/newer) and install it again... :) 

yes wa1 is right.. drivers cant damage a card ....
July 3, 2010 7:47:56 AM

Sure they can. If the driver keeps the fan speed to low and the card over heats it will eventually artifact and go bad. Takes some time, but drivers in this case would have "killed" the card.
July 3, 2010 7:53:05 AM

4745454b said:
Sure they can. If the driver keeps the fan speed to low and the card over heats it will eventually artifact and go bad. Takes some time, but drivers in this case would have "killed" the card.

yeah but card wont get damaged if it overheats once...
when your card overheats you will get to know because there will be lot of problems like display goes off suddenly or bsod or shutdown or may be restart when under load and many more .. i don't think that anyone will dare to run a system with such problems he will do a checkup.. else its his own fault for not checking it
July 3, 2010 11:38:12 AM

Perhaps. You could also have a driver that supplys to much voltage or cuts the fan speed to much. I think Nvidia had this problem not to far back. And if the part is faulty enough one good overheat might be enough.
July 3, 2010 11:40:45 AM

4745454b said:
Perhaps. You could also have a driver that supplys to much voltage or cuts the fan speed to much. I think Nvidia had this problem not to far back. And if the part is faulty enough one good overheat might be enough.

agreed
!