Suggestions for new system budget $2500

nihlistsage

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Hello guys, I am planning to buy a new desktop for my college. I have a budget of around $2500 which I am willing to exceed if need arises.

What is your budget?
$2500

Are there any brands/resellers that you prefer or any you really don't like?
No

What tasks will you be performing with the Desktop?
CAD, CFD, Matlab and gaming

How much hard drive space is needed?
I have 1TB WD lying around, so I think I would be happy with a 64GB SSD as boot drive

What resolution will the screen run at? One or Two screens?
1920X1080/1920X1200/2560x1600(depends on the best bargain I can strike for the monitor). I actually want a three screen setup but little short on money right now later on I would be adding two more screens to the setup.

When are you going to be building this?
This month. Most probably in the last week

Have you considered a pre-built desktop? Or even a notebook?
Yes. I considered a notebook, Clevo X7200. It was supposed to be on sale by now, but now it looks like it won't be out before the end of September.
I configured a few system on ibuypower and cyberpowerpc but I think building my own would be slightly cheaper (and more fun)

Are you going to overclock?
Yes

Preferred website for parts: I would prefer to buy components from Newegg but don't mind purchasing from other retailers either.

And I am going to use this PC as my primary machine for next three years so kindly suggest a setup which can keep up with the games which would come out in that time frame

Thanks in advance

Well am not discouraging you from knocking yourself out with $2.5K but in similar situations i rig these up for college/engineering courses/gaming peeps In their case portability is also stressed....which may or may not apply to ya hehe
Untitled-552.jpg

Also
23.6" LCD with free photo printer $180 free ship
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009252

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

a 9800? what? 980GTX? ewwwwww

That is a workstation/gamer mATX build and i'd upgrade to a HD 5870 if one has more funds ^^ You are welcomed