Compatible With Modern Games?

seejay

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
([{LAPTOP]})

I do not want to buy a modern game such as Starcraft 2 and find out that i cant run it so....

I used Systemrequirementslab and it told me:

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:

CPU
Minimum: 2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor
You Have: AMD Athlon(tm) II Dual-Core M300
PASS

CPU Speed
Minimum: 2.6 GHz
You Have: 1.99 GHz Performance Rated at: 3.383 GHz
PASS

RAM
Minimum: 1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)
You Have: 2.7 GB
PASS

OS
Minimum: Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs)
You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (build 7600), 32-bit
PASS

Video Card
Minimum: 128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
You Have: ATI display adapter (0x9713)
PASS

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card :

Video RAM: 1.4 GB
Hardware T&L: Yes
Pixel Shader Version: 4.0

Again these were minimum requirements and if anyone would like to know recommended requirements i will post them.

My graphics card has enough ram as well as a Pixel Shader to comply with the recommended requirements but the card itself is not what the website recommended so it automatically says not pass.

My processer is 1.99GHz with dual core but it says performance rated at 3.3GHz --Meaning it will perform at 3.3GHz while playing a game?

-Thankyou
(Not sure if this is in the right (sub) section)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Well this would be a lot easier if you told us what laptop you have?

looking at those specs though, it looks like the game would be very choppy, if its playable at all.

your CPU should just about be fine, but your GPU will most likely be too weak. we'd need to know what GPU it is though. so what laptop do you have?

seejay

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Manufactuerer: TOSHIBA
Model: Satellite L505D
Lus-PC
System Type: 32-bit Operating System

Everything else i found was just processor info and memory etc...

i thought my graphics were good enough because of the ram and shaders etc. but thats a real bummer... oh well

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
ok what does it say here ,
right click on desktop
go to screen resolution
advanced settings
adapter tab
and now either take a screenshot or tell us the CHIP type and Dedicated Video Memory.

seejay

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
i just dont understand why it would be bad because i used systemrequirementslab on another computer and it lagged pretty bad but it was BELOW even the minimum requirements while this computer is past the minimum and about half to recommended (check out the site if youd like its pretty nice). should atleast be able to run relatively smooth on low in my opinion

could i buy a PC from bestbuy and just replace the graphics card? or would that be spending more than needed (i decided not to build my own computer for now)

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Video-Display/L505D-S5983-will-it-play-starcraft-2-I-have-a-ATI-Radeon-4100/td-p/122541

according to this with proper drivers SC2 WILL work on your laptop mate, "Small update after removing the driver and isntalling the latest Catalyst software I now have the updated ATI drivers. SC2 plays like a dream on medium settings now"

do this to get the newest driver:
www.ati.com
on the download drivers section select the following from the dropdowns:
Component category -> notebook graphics
product line -> mobility radeon series
product model -> mobility radeon 4100 series
windows 7 32 bit

then hit download , and install the full package with catalyst control centre

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
LOL this guy is even saying he overclocked his 4100 on his laptop easily since it is the same as the 4200 but downclocked apparently , so dont be scared you can atleast overclock the core from 350hz (stock 4100) to 500hz (stock 4200)

http://www.overclock.net/ati/797215-ati-mobility-radeon-hd-4100-a.html

and if you scroll down to his next comment he gives a guide how to overclock the card, and also on his next comment he says
"its amazing how much of a performance boost you get, i play starcraft 2 on all max settings except shaders which are on med 1600x1200"

If you do go this route i suggest you also do this to your sc2 game to prevent overheating:
http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/28/blizzard-confirms-starcraft-ii-overheating-bug.aspx

Also the guy in his guide doesnt explain this , he says he overclocked his memory to 1000mhz effective.... that really means 500mhz (it gets doubled because of the ddr2 memory) so dont overdo it and kill your pc...!

also go to www.cpuid.com and download Hardware Monitor to monitor temperatures

seejay

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I clicked option 1 download for Catalyst Software Suite and it told me ' cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software on your computer' how do i fix that

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
the catalys control centre is packaged with the driver why would you uninstall anything? lol , and your graphic card is still the same lol why would it change...

if you want to, follow the link i gave above for overclocking the card , but if you dont know what you are doing , then dont do it.

in general you should be able to play sc2
but according to the link above... you would gain a lot of performance by overclocking the card

seejay

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Confusion : you posted that link to a thread in which the Catalyst was said to have allowed one guy to be able to play starcraft 2 on a higher graphics setting. Your telling me that it doesnt change a thing now. I'll try overclocking but i read a few posts and people say it could smoke or fry your computer or melt it.. :O

and i dont want choppyness lol. Think i can play relatively smoothly on medium? maybe low?

randomizer

Champion
What he means is that changing the driver is not going to change what video adapter is shown.

Given that you are running a laptop and appear to have little or no understanding of what overclocking entails or what risks are involved, I suggest that you either do a lot of reading or don't overclock at all. It's pretty hard to damage a desktop computer by overclocking, but laptops are built to restrict cooling capacity (to save space) as much as is possible given the heat output of the system at stock clock and voltage settings.

seejay

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
So it improved behind the scenes? (keep in mind that i tried to update via device manager and it said i was already up to date) As for overclocking - i'd rather not risk the meltdown of my computer - but i would enjoy playing starcraft on medium settings smoothly

Veni vidi dimiti = Come, See, leave?

randomizer

Champion
Basically the driver simply provides an interface for other software to communicate with the hardware without understanding the specifics of how the hardware actually works. Driver updates normally just fix bugs in the software but in some cases can improve performance noticeably if a significant bug is fixed or if the manufacturer enables (or disables) some application-specific optimisation that in its previous state deliberately hampered performance so as to spring a little surprise on the competition and to make a PR stunt.

Device Manager only checks Windows Update to see if a newer driver exists, and Windows Update is usually well behind releases direct from AMD.

seejay

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Thankyou all for the extreme clarification and help. but maybe a few more questions:

1. Will i be notified of updated by catalyst control center or will i have to find them?

Time to try sc2 (tomorrow)

randomizer

Champion
CCC doesn't check for updates, you'd have to check yourself. AMD normally releases a new driver each month (the version number corresponds to the year and month it was released in). Updating without reason to update only increases the likelihood of breaking things though.

I don't play SC2, nor do I know how well it performs on average, so I have no idea if the minimum requirements are really the minimum required to get the game to load or if they are quite conservative.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
If you wish to try the game without buying it, i can give you my guest pass key (comes free with each copy of the game, to allow a friend to try the game). ill send it to you via PM. check your inbox.

you'll need to go to starcraft2.com/guest and create a battle.net account then enter the key. saves buying the game to find out it doesn't work though.