Advise on correct PSU

mpere

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Hi everyone, recently I ordered a new power supply unit for my computer, the Corsair AX750. I alway wanted to try a modular unit, and upgrade my system with it. However, when it arrived it was DOA. I installed it in my system, started it up and nothing. After checking to make sure all the cables were installed correctly still nothing. I then went to corsair web site and used their method to check the 24 pin power connector. this means using a paperclip and fan to see if power was getting to the unit. turn on the PSU and still nothing. I finally decided to RMA the unit back to the retailer and replace it with a Corsair HX 750. Now my question is has anyone in the community had a problem with the HX 750 and is their any way I can really test the unit before I go and install it. Furthermore, is there any other modular power unit out there someone can recommend.

AMD Phenom
II X4 965 Black Edition
Sapphire ati radeon 5830
Asus M4A78T-E motherboard
4G Kit ddr3 kingston 1333
one sata hardrives
2 casefans
Dvd rom/optical drive

(please provide details and links)

Thnxs

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Bad eggs exist, this one, more likely then not will work. Cosair is very high quality. The only other place that is on par is seasonic and they make all but 1 of Cosairs PSUs

=)

corsair is usually quite good sometimes there are some bad ones but as for recommendations
the xfx 750,silverstone strider 750 both also very capable units, the xfx is slightly better then the hx750

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Really?

I thought seasonic made all but the new low end one.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I been using Corsair PSU for years it is quite rare to see this product to fail. Well I have seen their products fail too (I used them in a very extreme situation). I have used HEC, Antec, Thermaright, etc. Well the way to test them is the method you use above checking the 24 pin connector - simple and effective. I don't recommend using multimeter if you found out it is dead then return it. When you got it running on your unit check the BIOS hardware monitor see if the values were not erratic.