Network speed and utilization low

radecule

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
i am currently connecting 2 computers to each other with an ethernet cable. both nic cards can run 100mbps and at the moment i am transferring a 6.73gb file from computer A to computer B but i am not reaching utilization higher than 1% on a 100mbps connection. I would also like to know how to see my exact transfer rate when using windows xp.

radecule

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

is there anyway i can see my transfer rate when using xp besides using the task manager utilization graph?
also i checked the duration my transfer has been going (3hours) and how many bits it has sent (1,721,495,249) and got a rough estimate of a transfer speed of 157kbps and on a direct ethernet connection ( no routers or switches just comp to comp) is pretty slow as far as i have seen.

hairystuff

Distinguished
Some times ethernet interfaces will just not connect properly in a peer-to-peer/ad-hoc setup even with manually assigned IP addresses and subnets mask set correctly due to auto media sense capabilities of cards being to smart for their own good, best to try what *dEAne said.

radecule

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
ty for the info guys but ive called it quits on the computer to computer network and just bought myself a 160gb external harddrive which was able to copy the file in less than 10 minutes compared to the 3 hour wait i had which resulted in a copy error via the ethernet connection.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

Wise decision. There is another solution though. But since you've decided to manually transfer data via the External HDD, I guess it's too late to say it. :D

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
It's something like this:

http://www.usbgear.com/link/index.html

Since it's USB based, should be more reliable and hassle free than that P2P Ethernet issue you've experienced. I'm not sure about the speed though, but considering External HDDs are also using USB 2.0 platform, I'd estimate the transfer speed not to greatly differ between the two methods. Moreover, it's plug and play, not plug then re-plug (as in from one PC to another?) :lol:

Hope this can give you a better insight for the future. :D

EDIT:typos and false grammars...

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

I would say that is not correct. Why should it be like a one lane road?

A switch (not a hub!) between will not by definition increase any speed. The connections must be able to negotiate speed and duplex, but that is the same if the endpoint is a switch or directly to another NIC.

The same applies to IP addresses and subnetmasks and other logical configuration, it must still be correct and it will not matter if using a peer-to-peer connection or if using a switch.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

It could be wise to make sure the cable is of good quality.

For checking corrupt frames running in the command prompt:

netstat -e