Panasonic TC-P42U2 & 275GTX Issues..any input appreciated.

SpyderPB6

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Hello all,

I have a TC-P42U2 Plasma by Panasonic, it is a 1080p, 600hz TV additionally I have a EVGA 275GTX with two DVI outs, no HDMIs.

I use my TV for viewing online TV and through cable, watching movies (online and through blu-ray disc player) and to a much lesser extent gaming, as I prefer smaller screens for gaming.

______

My dilemma is this:

I purchased this TV intent on hooking it up to my PC VIA DVI to HDI adapter. This would provide me with 1080p quality to watch stuff from the computer internet or not. My issue with the 275GTX is that through Nvidia's control panal when I select 1080p, 1920 x 1080 (native) at 60Hz, with 32bit color depth, the screen stays black and will not process that picture. I can not for the life of me figure out why this is; could it perhaps be related to the TV being 600hz?

When I select 1080i, 1920 x 1080 at the offered 30Hz it works fine, additionally when I select 1080p, 1920 x 1080 at 24hz it works as well but the picture is lagged to some extent perhaps because of the low Hz selection.

_____

Provided I am able to get 1080p selected and working on 60Hz, if I view Blue-Ray movies through a disc drive on my computer will I be able to enjoy them in the fullest extent as my TV can offer VS simply hooking up a standalone Blue-Ray player?

And lastly, would a better quality graphics card allow me a connection through straight HDMI to HDMI that would reproduce the highest refresh rate offered by the TV at 600hz?

_____

Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Mike.

aeiouy

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Okay so I'm doing some research on this to see if I can help. One thing I noticed right off the bat though is you tv does not have a 600hz refresh rate. The 600hz is referring to what's called 'sub field drive' or 'sub field motion'. Your television is still refreshing at the normal 60hz, but it is flashing that image at 600hz. In other words, the same image is being flashed 10 times. It helps the image appear somewhat smoother supposedly. That should not be an issue though, as the tv is really refreshing at the normal 60hz. So....

My best guess is it's an audio issue. There should be an option in the audio menu of the tv to set hdmi audio to analog when it's connected to a DVI port. If you look on page 26 of the manual, it mentions something along these lines. Try that, and let me know if that works. Also, if it doesn't, what brand of cable do you have? I've had issues with bad cables where I could hear the audio but got no video. Cool. Good luck!

SpyderPB6

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I appreciate the information. I checked out PG26. It looks as though I should select which input is carrying the audio. Since there is no audio I left it on the default and in the Nvidia control menu I select No Audio Signal. I have tried other settings to see if it was glitched and it still didnt work. I appreciate your effort though.

Thanks again,
Mike.