Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Amd 890GX Final

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2010 9:16:46 PM

I posted a few months ago asking for suggestions for my AMD 890GX build, I got some some good suggestions on my build. Well It has been several months now I'm planning on building the system in 2-3 weeks a month at the most, and once again I'm looking for any suggestions to make the build better.

Price range is $1000 - $1500 before shipping. I plan on using the system mostly for gaming but I want the get as much peformance out of the system as possible. The only preferences I have is for AMD for CPU and Video Card. I will be ordering most if not all of my parts from newegg.com. I do want to utilize SSD for the boot drive and would really like any suggestion when it comes to SSD.

Parts not Required: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, and Operating System.

Amd 890GX Chipset Build
Case:COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Powersupply: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
VideoCard: XFX HD-585X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800
Heatsink: Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Boot Disk(SSD): Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BD/64GB 2.5" Desktop Bundle 64GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Data Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CD/DVD Drive: LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM

Before rebates this subtotal is around $1503.98, I'm open to any advice or suggestions that others may offer.

More about : amd 890gx final

August 8, 2010 10:12:38 PM

Have you looked at the combos on newegg? Nearly all of those items can be comboed with each other.. normally save $20 per combo. so just by using combos you can save about $100
m
l
August 8, 2010 10:30:37 PM

Yea I plan on using as many of the combos as I can, right now I have around $50 of rebates as well.
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2010 10:48:35 PM

I was actually going to ask 'what combos are you using?'.

If you're taking the rebate on that PSU, then it'll come down in price in line with the cheaper/est 80Plus Silver PSUs. However the XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W Modular 80Plus Silver $130 ($20 rebate, $5 shipping) has a nice rebate as well.

I believe the OCZ Vertez 60GB $150 ($20 rebate) will outperform the Kingston SSD Now V. Based on this comparison between the 128GB versions of both drives: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/154?vs=129 Either drive you get will be slower than these two, as SSD speed increases with capacity due to more parallelism.
m
l
August 9, 2010 12:12:17 AM

Congrats On Building An AMD Machine.... "Fark" Intel Just Because Its Faster Doesnt Make It Better
m
l
August 9, 2010 12:55:33 AM

Silvune said:
I believe the OCZ Vertez 60GB $150 ($20 rebate) will outperform the Kingston SSD Now V. Based on this comparison between the 128GB versions of both drives: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/154?vs=129 Either drive you get will be slower than these two, as SSD speed increases with capacity due to more parallelism.

At 60ish GB, your best bet is the OCZ Vertex 2, as the Sandforce controller doesn't lose speed due to a small capacity. It runs $175, but it's well worth it.

Agree with the XFX PSU recommendation, and at least one of the XFX PSUs should be available in a combo with an XFX 5850.

The build looks pretty solid. Obviously, one place to save money is by getting an HAF 922 or another case under $100.
m
l
August 9, 2010 1:52:41 AM

Ouch $150 for a 890GX mobo sounds like daylight robbery and it leaves me mystified how at this pricepoint u didn't fit in the king of the hill 890FX and a HD5870 :p 

$1200AR
m
l
August 9, 2010 1:56:09 AM

batuchka said:
Ouch $150 for a 890GX mobo sounds like daylight robbery and it leaves me mystified how at this pricepoint u didn't fit in the king of the hill 890FX and a HD5870 :p 

$1200AR

I'm guessing it was the HAF X and the SSD. :) 

Batuchka's build offers more gaming performance, though obviously if you really want an SSD and that HAF X, you're not going to be satisfied without them.
m
l
August 9, 2010 3:28:30 AM

My original budget was $1200-$1300 which didn't include a SSD Drive since then my budget had grown to include a SSD drive. After reading the suggestion I want to upgrade to 8900FX and HD5870 which I think after looking at the combo deals I may be able to afford the upgardes. What do you think of the ASUS M4A89TD PRO AM3 AMD 890FX? Also I do plan to change my powersupply to an XFX as well as the SSD drive to a Ocz vertex 2. Any other suggestions to improve my build?
m
l
August 9, 2010 4:09:53 AM

birdeye said:
My original budget was $1200-$1300 which didn't include a SSD Drive since then my budget had grown to include a SSD drive. After reading the suggestion I want to upgrade to 8900FX and HD5870 which I think after looking at the combo deals I may be able to afford the upgardes. What do you think of the ASUS M4A89TD PRO AM3 AMD 890FX? Also I do plan to change my powersupply to an XFX as well as the SSD drive to a Ocz vertex 2. Any other suggestions to improve my build?

I would get the crosshair iv formula (PM me for info on how to fix the northbridge)

Your PSU is fine, but yeah get an SSD like THIS>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... if you are using home prem 64 bit (it only needs 20gbs)
m
l
August 9, 2010 4:27:06 AM

To be honest I don't have much faith in crosshair line I had the first one and its the crappiest motherboard I've ever had not to mention the 229.99 just isn't in my budget.
m
l
August 9, 2010 3:23:28 PM

birdeye said:
To be honest I don't have much faith in crosshair line I had the first one and its the crappiest motherboard I've ever had not to mention the 229.99 just isn't in my budget.

or maybe a crappy user :kaola: 
m
l

Best solution

August 9, 2010 4:41:03 PM

Mr Pizza said:
or maybe a crappy user :kaola: 

Really? With the most recent version having the poorly quality control northbridge issue, you come back with that? :p  Unless you're interested in the wacky extra features of the Crosshair IV, it's not worth the extra expense.

(And yes, I have a Crosshair IV myself.)

For best value, I would get either:
The Gigabyte UD5 for $180 + free shipping, or the ASUS M4A89TD Pro USB 3 for $185 + $8 shipping. If you're going with an 890 FX board, it'd be a shame to save $5-10 and not get USB 3.0.

Further, I'd stick with at least the 60 GB Vertex 2 if it's still within your budget. There's not a lot of point in getting an SSD if you're just putting your OS on it...it's nice to at least have a few apps as well.
August 10, 2010 1:33:45 AM

With the first Crosshair which was the last system I build I went through 2 motherboards and 2 Processors which at the time was near top of the line when I built. I also ended up having to replace the bios so that processor would be compatible. So after I finally got up working and that was a job in itself I only lasted for year so I do my best to stay away from crosshair motherboards, So I am a bit suspicious of asus motherboars in general but they do make top notch motherboards. The ones you mentioned are two of the choices I'm considering, I'm also considering MSI 890FXA-GD70 but the reviews are not as promising as for the other two, any thoughts on the Msi? While the main purpose for SSD Drive is a boot drive I will be installing some apps, so I can't see myself going with less than 60GB and yes it's still in my budget with some of the combo deals and rebates I can still afford.
m
l
August 10, 2010 7:04:02 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on the MSI 890FXA-GD70? It looks to be a nice board although the reviews have it falling behind both asus and gigabyte. Any comments or opinion on the motherboard?
m
l
August 10, 2010 7:14:28 PM

great board, I don't know what could be wrong..
m
l
August 10, 2010 7:27:19 PM

birdeye said:
Does anyone have an opinion on the MSI 890FXA-GD70? It looks to be a nice board although the reviews have it falling behind both asus and gigabyte. Any comments or opinion on the motherboard?

Nothing wrong with the board, it's just $15-20 more than the competing boards from Asus & Gigabyte.
m
l
August 10, 2010 8:19:18 PM

With the rebate from newegg it puts at 179.99 which is th same price as the GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 and $5 cheaper than the ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3. I just hadn't seen many build that use the MSI, but for me its aesthetically better looking and provides all the features I need and then some. I probably will never do multi-videocard setup but at least its an option.
m
l
August 10, 2010 8:32:35 PM

I tend to ignore mail-in-rebates when pricing out items.

If people follow through on them, great, it's like free money. In actuality, many people forget or don't follow the instructions carefully enough (I'm guilty of this) and end up not getting the rebate.

Like I said, there's really no reason not to get it except for the price. If your budgeting includes MIRs as part of the final price, awesome, go for it.
m
l
August 11, 2010 2:43:39 AM

Best answer selected by birdeye.
m
l
August 11, 2010 2:56:28 AM

So yea I decided to go with the MSI for my build and everything else pretty remains the same except for the ram and an addition of TV Tuner. The ram I'm getting is OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB DDR3 1600 the only reason to get this ram aside from what had originally is for the rebate and combo discount. The tv turner I decided on is Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner 1213 PCI-Express x1 Interface but I'm new to tv turners and never had used one before the brand and model seem to get good ratings so it looks to do the job nicely. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I plan to buy the parts a week from today(so it will arrive on the weekend and I will have time to put it together). I expect this to the best computer I have built to date, I have never spent as much time reading reviews and fine tuning my setup as well as money.
m
l
!