Console Messaging

I'm trying to set up console messaging in a domain setup with Win2k domain
contoller and WinXP clients. I must not understand the concept well, because
I cannot get the messaging to work amongst any of the machines, except for
one-way between one pair of clients. Is there a checklist available to guide
me through the setup processs for this function? Alternately, can someone
tell
me what the problem is and/or how to fix it?

Thanks for any help.

Jonathan

Morons whinged so MS disabled it in SP2 to win points with linux terrorists.

"PCGenieLA" <PCGenieLA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F1D92CA-6AA6-4FEE-8D4F-35FF07994898@microsoft.com...
> I'm trying to set up console messaging in a domain setup with Win2k domain
> contoller and WinXP clients. I must not understand the concept well, because
> I cannot get the messaging to work amongst any of the machines, except for
> one-way between one pair of clients. Is there a checklist available to guide
> me through the setup processs for this function? Alternately, can someone
> tell
> me what the problem is and/or how to fix it?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Jonathan

Don't have any machines with SP2. Nothing but trouble-I'm not so stupid as to
take anything Bill puts out.
The question still applies

"David Candy" wrote:

> Morons whinged so MS disabled it in SP2 to win points with linux terrorists.

> "PCGenieLA" <PCGenieLA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F1D92CA-6AA6-4FEE-8D4F-35FF07994898@microsoft.com...
> > I'm trying to set up console messaging in a domain setup with Win2k domain
> > contoller and WinXP clients. I must not understand the concept well, because
> > I cannot get the messaging to work amongst any of the machines, except for
> > one-way between one pair of clients. Is there a checklist available to guide
> > me through the setup processs for this function? Alternately, can someone
> > tell
> > me what the problem is and/or how to fix it?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Jonathan

Make sure the "messenger" service is running on the "clients" and the
"servers".

Note, if your domain accesses the internet, and the ports messenger uses for
your external connection are not closed of, it will open the servers/clients
up to popup messages (and potential bad things). This eludes to why MS
changed the default to "disabled" instead of "automatic" for this service
between SP1 and SP2. I believe a lot of other 3rd party security sites
offered a reg fix also (before SP2), to do the exact same thing, disable it
instead of leaving it as automatic.
--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com