Low fps, even with new graphics cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciera

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I've been playing games such as Allods Online, Perfect World, and Runes of Magic (all mmorpgs) lately and decided that it was time to upgrade from my integrated graphics to a Nvidia graphics card. I've tried both the GeForce 8400 GS and the GeForce 6600 overclocked. Neither of these graphics cards have improved the performance of my games much at all. I'm getting around 7-12 fps on high settings and around 30 fps on low settings on all these games. I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but it seems like my computer should be running these games a lot smoother.

System Specs:

Operating System
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Pentium E5200 @ 2.50GHz 36 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
LENOVO LENOVO (CPU 1)
Graphics
Acer P191W @ 1280x800
Acer P191W @ 1440x900
512MB GeForce 6600 (BFG Tech) 51 °C
Hard Drives
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAJS-08A8B0 ATA Device (IDE) 35 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10N ATA Device
OPKB 4HQZSPIBS9U7 SCSI CdRom Device
DILOXSL 9MBO1MFC SCSI CdRom Device
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Ciera

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I appreciate you replying so quickly, but the problem I'm having is that I'm not seeing a difference between my integrated card that the computer came with 3 years ago and an actual graphics card. Is there any way that the games aren't running through the graphics card and are still feeding through the integrated? The games that I'm playing aren't very graphically intensive, so does 7 fps seem low to you? Or is that just what I can expect from these graphic cards. I'm just looking to play either WoW, or other mmorpgs casually, so I'm not looking to buy a very expensive alternative. I was given the 6600 by a friend because I thought that something would be better than nothing.

JDintheOC

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Did you make sure to disable your onboard graphics chip? I had the same problem. After disabling the OB chip and downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA everything worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.