New system with i5

jusy060

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Hello tech ppl i am looking at buying a new comp with a limited budget but am willing to save more if it will help me later on.

BUDGET RANGE:700-900

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming(wow mostly might try aion),music,surfing the web,edditing music(nothing much just some soundforge croping)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: mouse,monitor, keyboard.

PREFERRED WEBSITES FOR PARTS: newegg.com, bestbytecomputer.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: intel, Nvidia

OVERCLOCKING: Mabye

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: yes (but later on when i get more cash)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: no clue anywhere from a 20' to 24' monitor

So i have decided to go with a GTS 250 GPU and an i5 intel PCU. I have not figured out what models of those i will need/what company to go with.

I need some advice on the MOBO, memory, case, and PCU il need for this kind of setup. And anything eles I have missed.

I am a lil confused as to if i will need a network card so i can get internet in my basement.

BTW: Im very new to all this and only learned all the parts inside a comp about 2 weeks ago, ive been doing a lot of research but it does not compare to acctually doing it.

Thanks in advance for any comments on this thread!

Solution
Firstly, you might wanna change that HDD of yours to SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB. Cheaper, yet faster.

Secondly, by 460, I hope you meant the GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB, right? And not the 768.

This is definitely a much more powerful card, but also one that you'll not need for WOW.

So if you're ready to put down the cash, this is definitely the one to go for.

As for the 760 equivalent of AMD, the Phenom II X4 955 is the one to look at.

It'll be cost effective as well. This ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 Mobo is the one to go for (because you are going for a single card).

The Giga mentioned by Guanyu does'nt have DDR3 1600 support w/o OC.

If you want a cheaper mobo, you'll have go with this...
Ok..now...about the internet connection...
now choose :
1. WLAN
2. Cable (is it possible to pull the cable all the down to the basement?)

And also some more info is needed.
Where do you get the internet? Sharing with someone? alone? ADSL? just throw as much as information you can throw to us!
Than we will help some more after you have chosen.

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
If you want to SLI/XFire you would need to go AMD to affrod a mobo that allows it. The problem with the Intel build is your budget leaves you stuck with a card that will struggle at 1920 x 1080 resolution. With AMD you can either afford a better card or at least have the ability to add a 2nd 5770 later

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Well, I missed the internet part the last time 'round.

Surely, you are gonna use a wired connection, right? It should'nt be a problem then.

But if you are using a wireless connection, you'll need a wireless adapter, irrespective.

Also what do you mean by basement? If you mean sub-sub basement of a multi-storied apartment building (which I'm sure it's not), then nothing but wired will do (I THINK).

But if you're talking 'bout the basement of your suburban house with windows / ventilators, then you wont be needing anything other than a simple wireless ethernet adapter & a wireless network adapter card.

jusy060

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Ok thanks for all the replies let me get some more info out to u guys. My basement is just ur regular old suburban basement. Im sharing the conection with my mom (on occation) and my brother who is a constant user of the internet.

As for the amd/intel i would rather go with intel but im open to some AMD builds but i really know nothing about amd and what the intel equivalent would be so if u could just throw in that if ur kind enuf to post an AMD build

jusy060

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
ok thanks very much for the info i went to bestbyte today (the other link i put up) and haad my total up to 850 w/o a monitor so its around what im looking to spend gulp. more money to save and all that stuff but how much would a wireless card for my comp cost to run wifi?

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
You have'nt put up any link I don't think. You're talking 'bout Intel,right?

My build only comes to about $818 INCLUDING the GPU and you said you wanna use the GTS 250 from your current build.

So even @ best byte, it should'nt really cost you any more than 700, I don't think.

Could you link me to your wish list?

Oh yeah, wireless adapters start from $10-$100 depending on type/speed (data rates)/security etc.

jusy060

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
http://www.bestbytecomputer.com/catalogue.phpLinks arnt working from bestbyte so il just post the prices but heres the link to the site if u want.

Case: CoolerMaster CM-690 ATX Mid-Tower BLACK 79$

CPU:Intel i5-760 Quad Core 2.8GHz 8M s1156 225$

Hard drive:Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 32MB SATA 69$

Disk reader:LG GH22LS50 22x DVDRW LS SATA BLK 25$

MOBO:Asus P7P55D PRO Skt1156 ATX DDR3 PCIE MB 196$

Memory:OCZ 3G1333LV4GK PC10666 2x2GB DDR3 105$

PSU:CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus 650W PSU 74$

GPU:eVGA GeForce GTS 250 1GB DDR3 PCI-E 139$

Network card:Airlink AWLH6075 Wireless N PCI Adapter 24$ (is this what i would need?)

With this build im at 916$ B4 taxes (i will be waiting til september so i dont have to pay 8% more taxes yay native staus)

So im acctually leening towards the amd build unless i dont need some of this stuff since id like to keep it cheap.

jusy060

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
well thanks again for the info but im now thinking i want a cheaper mobo and only one GPU will have to make a build for it but would a 460 be a good choice for that kinda thing?

If you look at the price of i5 760, the AMD alternative should be around X4 945 to X4 965 and X6 1055T.
With : GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AMD770

Just choose which proc you can best afford.

BTW :
- I have posted those before.
- If you use the system mainly for gaming , and you are on very limited budget, try to consider AMD X3 440 Rana.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Firstly, you might wanna change that HDD of yours to SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB. Cheaper, yet faster.

Secondly, by 460, I hope you meant the GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB, right? And not the 768.

This is definitely a much more powerful card, but also one that you'll not need for WOW.

So if you're ready to put down the cash, this is definitely the one to go for.

As for the 760 equivalent of AMD, the Phenom II X4 955 is the one to look at.

It'll be cost effective as well. This ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 Mobo is the one to go for (because you are going for a single card).

The Giga mentioned by Guanyu does'nt have DDR3 1600 support w/o OC.

If you want a cheaper mobo, you'll have go with this G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) RAM .

In that case, you can check out this MSI 770-G45 Mobo for just 57 bucks. You'll prolly not need those extra features anyways.

Try to get a nice combo when you buy. You might even save a few bucks more.

Solution