Asus P8Z68-V [Problems]

koc88518

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hello I have this question somewhere in the fourm, but with no luck noone responded :[

I'm writing this again, because I just feel if i paid for the product, I should at least get the service that i paid.

Anyhow this is my current set up ( ALL new item that was bought at FRYS electronic's)

Case: NZXT Phantom (white)
CPU : Intel i5-2500K
PSU : Thermtlake 600W
Motherboard : P8Z68-V ( I was just gonna get regular mobo, but this guy that worked there pushed me to get it .... and right now i regret it so much)
GPU : eVGA Geforce 460gtx
RAM :Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB Kit 2X4GB 1600MHz DDR3
CPU-Cooler : Coolermaster

Building the computer took a little more than I thought ( didnt plug the ram tightly into the mobo ) after figuering that out in 2 days T___T. I installed windows 7 64bit.

Installed the drivers from Asus mobo cd, ( had to downloading and install some of the new ones from the internet)
Turned my computer off and fell a sleep, after waking up and trying to turn it back on it WOULDNT T__T;
I was about to cry again but i just took the power cord from the back for while and plugged it back in. After doing that the computer reboots into AMI (pre bios) menu where it keep saying overclocked failed ( when i didnt try to oc).
Also the ram said 1333mhz instead of 16000mhz. Thinking it had something to do with the ram, called asus support and the first guy helped me set up the 9-9-9-24 thingy. After he helped me the computer said 1600mhz in ram so i thought the problem was fixed.... but it wasnt next day same problem computer turns on ONLY after i unplug the powersupply. 2nd guy in ASus said did u screw in the safety screwthingy before setting down the mobo. I relize i forgot to do that, and he said well all the power from the psu is going to ur mobo and ur mobo is touching the case. And assured me by adding the screw will solve the problem. NOT.

The problem is still on going, I'm reading more and more about simiar problem, and i only see the asus bios update as a solution. However right now i don't trust asuss mobo no offence, but the bios does not save my stuff.

I changed the ram to XMP profile and next reboot i see it went to manual and stuff and etc.
I'm pretty sure someone said wait for BiOS update, but i just want to know if anyone was able to fix it without the bios update ty.

jbschmerge

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
For the set up you have, I'd question that a 600W power supply has quite enough juice to keep things from being flaky... You're at the lower end of the recommended wattage for the board + gfx card.

A 600 watt PSU is more than adequate.

One of my systems has an OC'd Q9550, 4 GB RAM, a GTX260 - a card with similar power requirements to yours, a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, 3 hard drives (2.6 TB total) and an optical, and a Soundblaster card all powered by a Corsair 750TX.

Running 3 instances of Prime95 to load the CPU and 3DMark06 to load the GPU, it pulls 375 watts from the wall as measured by my Kill-a-Watt meter. Figuring 80% efficiency, the system pulls 300 watts from the PSU.

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
What "safety screw thingy"? I have built a lot of machines, and none of mine have a safety screw thingy as far as I know.

I have used ASUS motherboards for almost 20 years, and had next to no problems. I've had to return just one out of maybe 30, and that one was due to a fault in the Intel chipset.

It sounds like your machine's CMOS battery might be faulty - I don't know if that particular motherboard has a coin battery on it. You could try resetting the CMOS, setting all the parameters again, then switch the machine off and leave it overnight. If the same problem recurs, I'd return the motherboard. A BIOS update won't fix a faulty battery.

BTW: I'm using a 650W power supply (Seasonic X650) to power an ASUS P8Z68V Pro motherboard, i7 2600, 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3, and a GTX 580 - similar to your configuration, but with a much more power-hungry video card, and I'm having zero problems, so I would not expect your power supply to be the source of the trouble.

koc88518

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hey thank you for responding to my post. the safety screw thingy was standoff. I've been playing wiht computer all my life and never knew about that T__T;. Also he said before doing anything put the mobo on top box and see if that works. but im scared to take it out now.

developeraslam

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

My dear friend as you can see in manual that your motherboard is having many small LED in motherboard which tells you that if any of your hardware is malfunctioning. please check LED of motherboard. there are different LED in your motherboard show status of different hardware like RAM, Processor etc.

koc88518

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Yea I know that my mobo has different lights that come on. However all the red lights are off when my computer turns on. The only light that stays on all the time is POWER red light, and the green light by ram side

developeraslam

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

When you press power button on your cpu ( cabinet ) does fan of your SMPS ( Power supply ) starts??????

what is the status of other fans in your computer like processor fan cabinet fan etc.

Is there any beep when you switch on the PC. because beeps also gives information about error occured during POST ( when computer starts )

try to hear that beep and then as per number of beeps and duration of beeps like long beeps OR short beeps you can check the meaning of that beeps in internet, then you can easily troubleshoot your problem and

IMPORTANT

There is one more question for your when you purchased your motherboard, how many locks were there for RAM

i means when you insert RAM into motherboard there are 2 locks which hold the ram within the ram socket........... so check and reply

Are there 2 locks holding ram from left and right tightly or just one lock holding ram either from left or right...........

developeraslam

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
There is one question for your when you purchased your motherboard, how many locks were there for RAM

i means when you insert RAM into motherboard there are 2 locks which hold the ram within the ram socket........... so check and reply

Are there 2 locks holding ram from left and right tightly or just one lock holding ram either from left or right...........

koc88518

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I hope this answers ur question
vFMsmHzQjEwrTwum_500.jpg

MrGTST

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Hi All,

I am experiencing very similar problems with my new build that's only 2 days old using similar gear and same motherboard... first sign of problems is when I put it into sleep mode in windows 7, that caused the PC to shut down completely to the point it did nothing at all, after going back to the shop and getting some advice I pulled out the CMOS battery and used the onboard jumper to clear and that seems to have gotten it back up and running...

Since then I have updated the BIOS, graphics card drivers and I am still having random problems, sometimes on bootup I get the overclocking error like you, I have also had the PC crash out to a dos screen with some error about rebooting with a bootdisk (cant remember the exact message now)

Its really dissapointing because I was so excited with this new PC and its soo unstable I don't know what to do... I have left most settings in auto, which I assume is letting it overclock and drive the gear harder, I am wondering if I try and manually fix it all at the recommended speeds??? :(

Also to answer the last question the slots for the RAM has one side that opens/closes and the other side is fixed....

Cheers

MrGTST

developeraslam

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

you are right as i personally contacted ASUS SUPPORT because i was seeing lots of threads here stating this problem, that unable to repull after put it into sleep mode. that is a bios error and asus will soon correct that error by providing an bios update. and about your overclocking issues just install your all asus utilities and by using overclocking utility put your processor to stock frequency.... i bleave it will work fine. let me know if this hellp.

Because i am going to buy same configuration without addon graphic card on this saturday. :)

If you found any othersolution to overcome this problem kindly reply to me also.

Thanks.

churkl

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I had the same board, with the same CPU, but opted to use onboard video to save some heat. And after leaving the PC running for 6 hours or so, I come back to a non responsive PC. Pretty similar to what koc was experiencing. I am using Win 7 64bits.

I finally solved my problem, but I want to point out that all the people who given you advise previous seems like old school tech. And no offense, just because you been in the field for 20 years, doesnt make you an expert and doesnt mean the way you troubleshoot works anymore. If anyone is still suspecting HW, then follow first rule of troubleshoot. Unplug everything, Leave just 1 memory module, CPU, and onboard video (if none a discrete video card). And start your machine, repeat the process one component at a time, (in your case a few hours between because thats when u experienced the problem). Until everything is plugged in, or identified the hardware that is causing the issue. Moving on.

If hardware is not the issue, and you think it the PS, just do the math:
hard drive 5 - 20Watt each
Video card, 95 - 160Watt each
Sound (discrete card) 5 - 10Watt
CPU 65 - 135 depending on CPU
MB (for all the onboard devices) 20 - 40Watt
Fan 5Watt each.
Memory not a lot, but dont know the figures.

Finally software, this is where my problem is. and if you read a lot of forum, you'll find that many motherboard has trouble with the new Sandy Beach speed step and sleeping problem. Where the MB sees no activity, it throttle down the CPU, and many time, when you try to wake it. I just doesnt know what to do. and become unresponsive. Best solution. In windows, set all your power setting to not go to sleep or hibernate.

Seriously, with all respect to the techs, motherboard now don't have 2 locking on memory, just 1 per slot. The bottom bracket has a grove where the memory sits on, and rely on just the top lock to secure it in place. And finally to koc. If your MB snap in half because you put too much pressure on the board. You did not seat the MB correctly. All ATX has screws near the memory modules, that means there are copper backing to those screws. Should not snap. I have try standing on one before didn't snap (was a dead MB). Also, don't bother with the CMOS jump, cuz, missing means you are not clearing it. having one there means you going to kill your CMOS.

AGuru

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

Hello KoC and tomshardware peepz,

First time post figured since I had the same setup I could shed some light on the subject

CPU - i5 2500k
Mobo - Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
SSD - 180GB Corsair GT
RAM - 16GB G.Skill PC3 - 1600

developeraslam was on the right track. You would of found your answer on page 2-19 of your motherboard user guide. I'll quote from the book...."The POST State LEDs of CPU, DRAM, VGA card, and HDD indicate key components status during POST. If an error is found, the LED next to the error device will continue lighting until the problem is solved. This user-friendly design provides an intuitional way to locate the root problem within a second." Btw Asus Intuition-al is not a word lol. But anyway there you go KoC if your green LED next to the DRAM is still lit I would check to make sure they are all seated correctly first before doing anything else. If that doesn't work try reading the part in the user guide about the MemOK! feature.

Also in your CPU User Guide it explains that due to the chip architecture RAM clocked at 1600 will be rated at 1333. It goes on to say more of the same about the 1800 and above RAM chips, so that is normal at least.

Hope this Helps and your Welcome

- Old School Tech.

P.S. Hey churkl ease up off the old school peepz. With out them were would you and your rig be? show some R.E.S.P.E.C.T please.

spinitboy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I've had no end of issues with my new setup.
Asus P8Z68-V with i5 2500K (Bios is latest as of this week)
Artic Freezer 7 CPU Cooler
6gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600,
Asus Radeon HD6850 1gb,
2x WD Caviar Black 640gb RAID 1,
1 x Samsung F3 1tb,
2 x samsung 250gb HD,
Creative Audigy PCI Sound card, Corsair TX650w PSU,
Plextor SATA DVD/RW.
Win 7 x64

System would randomly lockup. Unable to overclock using AI Suite - would reboot 5-6 times and then lockup. All components are seated correctly.
It seems RAID 1 is not really supported on this board, certainly not with WD Blacks (which are not great for RAID according to some other forums). I have now removed the RAID array and also rebuilt the system. Seems to be relatively stable, although the CPU FAN RPM is not correctly reported by the BIOS (though this is a common theme with Freezer 7 and Asus boards supposedly). Am still not fully conviced and think its more than likely down to a new chipset and an immature BIOS which needs a LOT of work to become a decent and stable good board.

I wish I'd stuck with my Core2Duo Gigabyte board which was rock solid and had no issues with my RAID array or overclocking.

AND - I don't care what people say, the new BIOS is not all that. Yes you can use a mouse on it, great. its still not very good for trouble shooting - just my opinion

All in all, quite disappointed with the whole experience and if I get any more issues, might just send the POS back and get another manufacturers board.