Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Usb port frying anything connected

Last response: in Components
Share
October 17, 2010 6:46:21 AM

Hi guys,
I have a problem my usb ports on top of my PC case have been having this issue of frying anything connected it started when one day,
I connected a 4GB flash disk and was shocked to see sparks, after the sparks the PC went off almost immediately I removed the flash disk
quickly and swithed on the the PC I opened the program event viewer at the start menu and then events then administrative events
it displayed critical kernel power so therefore I closed the application then reconnected the flash disk it had a bright red led which to me was a,
sign of life but on desktop it displayed malfunction windows does not recognize the device connected I reconnected it many times I tried
two different PC's but still the same thing I therefore pronounce it dead. Please help!!!!!!

System specs:

MOTHERBOARD: EVGA P55 SLI
PROCESSOR: INTEL CORE i3 530 @ 2.93 GHZ
GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE 7950GT
HDD: WD CAVIAR BLUE 320GB 8MB CACHE 7200RPM
HITACHI 250GB 7200RPM
OS: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64 BIT
CASIN: THERMALTAKE ARMOR VA8000BWS
October 17, 2010 7:06:56 AM

It is probable that your PC is shorting out. This makes your PC very dangerous in terms of fire, electrocution and damaged components. Leave it unplugged and get it checked out. Seriously.
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2010 10:28:24 AM

first, try calming down
Related resources
October 17, 2010 10:53:37 AM

Many people would support the view that an electrical device that sparks etc is a hazard.
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2010 11:23:26 AM

It sounds like a Earth/Grounding problem, change your power cable and have your electrical outlet/extension cable checked for faulty earth wiring. If it is a faulty earth problem you could be at risk of electrical shock or death.
October 17, 2010 5:31:35 PM

Thank you all for the comments I appreciate.
!