Sign in with
Your question

Gaming PC - 1000 Dollars Canadian.

Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2010 2:07:46 AM

Here is the build and an OS (Windows 7), mouse and keyboard is included. I used NCIX and used price match with the help of shopbot. I also don't want to build the PC myself, so I'm having NCIX assemble it for me.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor 3.2GHZ AM3 8MB Cache 125W Retail Box - $169.33

PC Assembly and Testing with 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty (PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased) - $41.09

G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V Memory Kit - $93.91

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM - $99.99

LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM - $21.15

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS 3.5IN NCQ Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty - $49.99

ASUS M4A77TD ATX AM3 DDR3 AMD770 SB710 PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI IDE 6SATA Sound GBLAN Motherboard - $72.48

MSI GeForce GTX 460 Fermi Cyclone OC 725MHZ 1024MB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E Video Card - $254.99
(it comes with Just Cause 2)

OCZ Z-SERIES 650W 80+ Silver Certified 24PIN ATX 12V Afc Power Supply W/ 120MM Fan - $64.06

Coolermaster CAC-T05 Centurion 5 Aluminum ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5INT SILVER-BLACK No PS - $52.90

Logitech Wave Keyboard Black USB with Windows Media Keys - $29.99

Logitech MX518 Gaming Grade Optical Mouse 1600DPI USB SILVER-BLACK - $53.82

Total comes down to about $995

Will all my parts work well together? Do I have a good build that would be able to last me a while on playing PC games at high settings? Is there anything I can improve upon within the budget. If its something if key importance, I'm willing to scrap the keyboard or mouse to fit it in the budget.

Oh and final thing. I connect my PC to my monitor using a VGA cable. Does the MSI GTX 460 1GB have a VGA port?
August 9, 2010 3:59:57 PM

First thing I'd do is switch that HDD for a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB. It'll be a lot faster.

Second thing is to not pay $80 for a keyboard and mouse. Get a decent cheap set. Don't buy into the "gaming" parts. What they really mean to say when they advertise them as a gaming mouse is "we're charging you more for nothing".

Third, I would check out some Crossfire enabled boards. It will allow an easy and cheap upgrade path. The ASRock 870 Extreme3 is a decent cheap one.

Fourth, I'd highly recommend stepping up to an HD 5850. It's quite a bit more powerful, yet not that much more expensive (at least in the US). It will also allow you to add the second card with fewer hassles as AMD board like Crossfire better than SLI.

Fifth, OCZ doesn't make the best PSUs. Check out some from Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, XFX and SeaSonic. I know you can find some great deals with Antec and XFX in the US, so they might be around in Canada too.

Sixth, take a look at some Antec cases. The 300, 300 Illusion, and 900 are all great. This might help in finding some deals with the PSU. If you can't find any good prices, don't worry about switching.

Seventh, consider getting some 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 sticks of RAM. It'll help if/when you decide to do some overclocking. Pretty much every brand is about the same, but OCZ has been known to have compatibility issues. This is a very minor change, so unless it's not a big price difference, don't worry about it.

Finally, if you do all of that and find you're over budget, either reconsider building it yourself (it's really easy...) or switch the CPU to an X3 440. The CPU doesn't really make a big difference in game, so the downgrade won't hurt the overall performance, especially if you can then afford a bigger GPU.
m
l
August 10, 2010 2:08:15 AM

well its unlikely I will be playing my games on any res above lets say 1600x1080, so you really think the performance boost from GTX 460 1GB to Radeon 5850 is a big deal? From the benchies I saw it seems to be little difference. I'm not sure I really need a Crossfire/SLI board largely cause I don't really do that. I like to keep my cards as long as I can play games on medium (maybe 3-4 years they last?) then just buy another one.

If I mess up building my PC, would they cover it with a warranty?

I guess I can get a keyboard at usedottawa or value village, but I'm not sure if I should replace the mouse. I heard its a quality piece of work.

Oh and ill make the switch with the hard drive.

thanks for response.
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2010 2:09:50 AM

AppleSmack said:
well its unlikely I will be playing my games on any res above lets say 1600x1080, so you really think the performance boost from GTX 460 1GB to Radeon 5850 is a big deal? From the benchies I saw it seems to be little difference. I'm not sure I really need a Crossfire/SLI board largely cause I don't really do that. I like to keep my cards as long as I can play games on medium (maybe 3-4 years they last?) then just buy another one.

If I mess up building my PC, would they cover it with a warranty?

I guess I can get a keyboard at usedottawa or value village, but I'm not sure if I should replace the mouse. I heard its a quality piece of work.

Oh and ill make the switch with the hard drive.

thanks for response.

I would get the MSI gtx 460 cyclone and l8er down the line add another one :) 
m
l
August 10, 2010 2:13:27 AM

Can you estimate how long my PC will last as a quality gaming machine at that resolution or less (rather 1400x1050 is more accurate resolution that I play on) with those specs before I will have to upgrade with lets say a new graphics card, or more ram or a better CPU?

As of now I guess I'm going to try to find a better PSU brand.
m
l
August 10, 2010 2:26:35 AM

AppleSmack said:
Can you estimate how long my PC will last as a quality gaming machine at that resolution or less (rather 1400x1050 is more accurate resolution that I play on) with those specs before I will have to upgrade with lets say a new graphics card, or more ram or a better CPU?

As of now I guess I'm going to try to find a better PSU brand.

at that res, id say 1year, 1 1/2year. and the prices will go down, a gtx 460 doesn't cost that much today even! only 200 a pop
m
l
August 10, 2010 3:33:51 AM

^1 year? Seriously?

If you've only got a 1400x monitor, you could drop the GPU down to a 5770 and not have any problems for a good 4-5 years.
m
l
!