Asus P8z68-V PRO + Server 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

CG1492

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has tried to use this bored for windows server 2008 and had success? I have decided to give it a try and I am having trouble getting the ethernet drivers to install. I realize this isn't a server mobo but i wanted to give it a shot to see if I could do it.

Solution
The way that I got the p8z68-v PRO to work with Windows Server 2008 R2 was to recreate the driver disk supplied with the Asus motherboard.
The steps I followed:
- Copy the contents of the Asus driver cd to a local drive.
- Perform a search for the Win 7 OS 64 bit id ( I used WNT_6.1P_64 or WNT_6.1H_64). This should provide a list of the config files (*.ini) that need updating with a string to show the drivers will support Windows Server 2008 R2 which has an id of WNT_6.1I_64).
- Modify each of the *.ini files that have a 64 Bit Win7_64 entry with a new additional entry of WNT_6.1I_64 = Win7_64.
- I then installed .Net 4.0 before running the newly created Asus driver disk as some of the Asus drivers required .Net
- Create a new...

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I am using this motherboard with Windows 7 64 bit, and it works fine with the drivers supplied on the motherboard CD - did you install them?

Server 2008 should use exactly the same drivers as Windows 7 64 bit (at the heart they are the same operating system, with a few settings different, mainly to do with scheduling).

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I just installed server 2008 r2 on an asus board. Not exactly your board, but I think I know what is wrong.

When you download drivers from asus, they've got this stupid asus installer that checks your windows version against an ini file. If the server system isn't in it, it won't work.

So instead, go look for another setup file in one of the sub folders or wherever it is. Typically with my drivers the asus part was called asussetup.exe or so, and the others varried depending on driver.

In a worst case scenario just open devmgmt.msc and select to update the driver and do it yourself - then aim at the folder where the drivers are. Chances are Windows will know which driver to use and install it. (doesn't work if the drivers are in an installshield cab or something like that).

sugolfguy

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
The way that I got the p8z68-v PRO to work with Windows Server 2008 R2 was to recreate the driver disk supplied with the Asus motherboard.
The steps I followed:
- Copy the contents of the Asus driver cd to a local drive.
- Perform a search for the Win 7 OS 64 bit id ( I used WNT_6.1P_64 or WNT_6.1H_64). This should provide a list of the config files (*.ini) that need updating with a string to show the drivers will support Windows Server 2008 R2 which has an id of WNT_6.1I_64).
- Modify each of the *.ini files that have a 64 Bit Win7_64 entry with a new additional entry of WNT_6.1I_64 = Win7_64.
- I then installed .Net 4.0 before running the newly created Asus driver disk as some of the Asus drivers required .Net
- Create a new CD/DVD with the updated .ini files and take it to your new windows server 2008 r2 system and perform the driver updates.
- For me all drivers worked except for a missing file for bluetooth. Since I do not use bluetooth I did not work to resolve this and simply disabled bluetooth in device manager.
Good luck!

Solution

_David_

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
just signed up to give a HUGE THANK YOU to sugolfguy!

I'm using this motherboard with an i7 processor, 16GB RAM and I have just setup Windows Server 2008 R2 enterprise and installed all the drivers using his advice, outstanding! :bounce:

a couple of notes:
- there are quite a few ini files to edit, so some patience is required :)
- I did not create a new DVD since I copied all the files to the server and edited the ini files straightaway, and then just ran the setup
- I had the same issue with the Bluetooth, but just the same I don't use it so it's just a matter of disabling
- for some reason the Ethernet drivers didn't work (setup said I didn't have any Intel LAN controller on my system), and the same happened when I used the drivers downloaded from the Intel website... so I ended up installed the closest driver available in Windows (custom option 'I will choose which driver to install' etc.)

cheers,
David

stephanevg

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

Awsome !! I finally found somebody that has the same issue as i do.
I am just like you, i have this assus motherboard and installed Windows 2008 R for some hyperV clustering testing purposes. But, without the network working, my testing ideas didnt work that well.. :/
Did one of you guys posted the drivers somewhere on the internet ? Is it possible to set it up somewhere so that everybody can have does updated version ? (and me as well :D )

Cheers !

stephanevg

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I just wanted to update this post because i found an alternative way of making the integrated network adapater from the motherboard Asus P8Z68-V work.
(Since the *.ini trick didn't really worked out well for me).

Here is what i did :
1) Go in the device manager, and right click and select update driver on the the Ethernet controller.
2)Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
3)Select "Let me pick from a list of device ..."
4)Choose network adapters and click next
5)Click Have disk
6) Navigate to your "LAN\PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS62" folder and select the file named "e1c62x64.inf" and click open.
7) Click ok
8) In the (long) list of ethernet drivers scroll down until you find : "Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
9) Click next
10) confirm anyother message and that's it ! :)

This worked for me. Let me know if it worked for you guys !

Cheers !

angeli662

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.