Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help choosing a new GFX card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 3, 2010 6:53:10 AM

Hi there, i'm new here(thought i had registered a long time ago)

I'm building a new PC (Gaming PC) and have planned for the following setup:
1.AMD Phenom II X4 or X6 (depending on cash+significant performance difference)
2.8GB Ram
3.Asus M3 Socket SLI/Crossfire mobo
4.HDD 1TB
5.Creative Sound Card
6.18.5 Inch Monitor
7.and all other small things

I'm still thinking of about which GPU to buy, and getting a new 6-7 X100 PSU isn't a big deal, but i will use dual GPUs.

Correct me if i am wrong, but doesn't the GPU performance also matter on the resulution of the monitor?

According to that even 9800GTX+ should do good for future game releases.

Also i was thinking of which GPU to buy, i've never used ATI before and heard that ATI is good too.

I'm planning to get my new rig in about a month or so, please help me choose a good gaming card.

Games i'll play are probably GTA IV, Assassin's Creed 1,2,Brotherhood, and Just Cause 2 basically third person games but not something like Crysis.

Thank you.

More about : choosing gfx card

a c 169 U Graphics card
July 3, 2010 7:19:46 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
You are right,the GPU performance depends on the resolution that you play too.
What is the resolution of your monitor? because you may not need 2 cards.
m
l
July 3, 2010 8:46:36 AM

1366 x 768 <--- getting a bigger monitor won't be a problem either, i just thought 18.5" would be good for wide-screen as i hate the stretched-out graphics on these new LCDs, the old 4:3 were better. Also i want 2 GPUs because i would like to make my system like...sort of ready for future game releases.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2010 9:33:21 AM

many people think that SLI or CF are great, yes they are but there are times when they perform lower than a single gpu due to micro-stuttering.
always a single gpu is better because of lower heat and lower power consumption and more compatible since some applications wont benefit from sli and cf
go for a single gpu now and later on you can go for one more and improve the performance(by that time i hope micro-stuttering will be solved :lol:  )
what's your budget for graphics card?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2010 9:54:15 AM

Quote:
2. 8GB Ram

Why the hell do you need this much RAM? Even if you do video editing and stuff, you won't be able to exhaust this much. More so when gaming.

Why don't you save the money and get a better/newer card. This would help you more in the future than those stagnant supply of RAM space.
m
l

Best solution

a c 169 U Graphics card
July 3, 2010 10:13:32 AM

sidspyker said:
1366 x 768 <--- getting a bigger monitor won't be a problem either, i just thought 18.5" would be good for wide-screen as i hate the stretched-out graphics on these new LCDs, the old 4:3 were better. Also i want 2 GPUs because i would like to make my system like...sort of ready for future game releases.

For that resolution, you won't need either SLI or CF
A card like HD 5770 will be more than enough for that resolution
July 3, 2010 1:03:15 PM

Hmm, that's true but as far as i've heard, ATI drivers are buggy, is that true? i mean, i've never had problems with NVIDIA cards..

And about new cards, yes i've got no problems getting a newer card, but i took 9800GTX+ just as an example because it is a nice card.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 3, 2010 1:52:47 PM

It is never a good idea to start with a dual gpu setup. One card will use less power not have any compatibility/scaling issues and will leave the second slot open for a future upgrade when the time comes.
Your resolution is quite low and doesn't need a very powerful card, even to be well equipped for future games. I would recommend getting a new one actually. I REALLY doubt you need 8 gigs of ram unless you are doing things like HD video editing or music production work. 4 gigs is enough for almost anyone and the savings should give you $100+ to put towards a new monitor. A nice 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 LCD monitor can be had for $150-200. It would make a huge difference in your gaming experience and make the computer more pleasant to use in general. These are both good deals;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The HD5770 that Maziar recommended is a good choice. It is the most recent tech. It is built on a 40nm process, very power efficient for its performance and it is DX11 compatible which is important for recent and future games. It costs $150-160. It would be good for 1920x1080 and great for resolutions below that(it is significantly more powerful that the 9800GTX+.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
If you get a crossfire capable motherboard make it one with the second slot at least x8. Then you will be able to add another HD5770 in crossfire later on for performance similar to an HD5870.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
July 3, 2010 4:07:42 PM

sidspyker said:
Hmm, that's true but as far as i've heard, ATI drivers are buggy, is that true? i mean, i've never had problems with NVIDIA cards..

And about new cards, yes i've got no problems getting a newer card, but i took 9800GTX+ just as an example because it is a nice card.

Well i have used both Nvidia and ATI drivers and they both are good(some versions of both sides have problems), so don't worry much about the drivers
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2010 2:59:53 AM

IMO, both ATI and Nvidia have their own shares of good and buggy drivers. And this should not be the basis on what card to choose. Look for the card's value and performance with respect to its price offering.
m
l
July 5, 2010 11:08:09 AM

Thanks guys, that was some great help, i've decided to roll with 5770 HD as Maziar suggested and AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, lets see how it works out(hopefully i'll be able to play games on MAX settings).

What kind of cooling should i use on this rig?
What PSU to use?
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
July 5, 2010 1:16:07 PM

Don't worry you can max out all games on that res :D 
As for cooling, what kind of cooling you want ? Case ? VGA or CPU ?
As for PSU, a good 500W+ PSU would be good.Corsair HX520/HX 620 are good choices
m
l
July 5, 2010 1:47:53 PM

well idk, i think my whole machine should stay as cool as possible. i meant GPU cooling n CPU
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
July 5, 2010 2:36:04 PM

Well 5770 us quite good and quiet,so i don't think you need extra cooling unless you want to OC it(significantly)
m
l
July 12, 2010 9:36:55 AM

Best answer selected by sidspyker.
m
l
!