Need a new motherboard for my 5870

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 3, 2010 7:15:36 AM

I got a asus matrix rog 5870 and its huge it fits on my motherboard I have right now but the motherboard also has a 4pin molex that you connect for if you plug in a graphics card and its really holding me back from overclocking stable at all.

So i've already got a 850w psu if i'm going to buy another motherboard I might as well get one with two x16 cf (true crossfire) slots so I can get a second 5870 down the line when they are cheaper.

The only motherboard ive seen that is really interesting is the.
mainly because of the location of the south bridge stays out of the way of how far the dual crossfire would go (i wouldn't bother going 3/4 cards)
it uses the first pci express x16 and the 3rd for crossfire with 2 cards... so its kinda edging out and wont be all up on anything I think..(the card itself)
but it seems a little on the expensive side..
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3

really I would just bite the bullet and purchase the motherboard but i saw a review i'll quote this one
"
Pros: Look, workability, ocing ability
Cons: I got one with the NB prob, so I took it apon my self to fix the standoffs, everythng is amazing now :-)
Other Thoughts: Check ur NB as soon as you get it, you will be happy you did "

the con kinda scares me because im obviously not very good technically or I wouldn't have already bought a new psu from a 650w with a 6+2 and 6 pin pci to connect the card since it has two 8pin connectors (i was using an 6 to 6+2 pin adapter on the 6 pin and figured maybe that was the reason the card wasn't ocing much or really stable)

in retrospect getting the gigabyte 5870 soc would of been a better option for me because im only running a 23inch monitor if anyone else is out there looking at the cards comparing and looking at what to buy make sure your power supply has the connectors without having to use any adapters of anysort because I think this really negates the effect and makes them unstable... also if your motherboard has a 4pin molex for "added graphics card stability" i'd stay away from higherend graphics cards.. but thats just what im thinking right now because im a little tired blew a extra 169 on a psu already even though I talked with asus tech support and had them all at my motherboard and make sure it would work with it and everything and now I have to buy another motherboard just so I can use the card like its supposed to be used.
sorry for the rant lol =/ just thought might help someone with my tech understanding when looking at these 5870s.

if you guys know of anything I could be doing wrong let me know I got the psu plugged directly into the wall i'm going to get a surge protector when I get the extra money..

anyways for my system specs

amd 965 phenom (140w edition)
corsair xms3 ddr3 ram
cnps 10x extreme zalman fan
500gb sata 3.0 hd
dvd drive sata i'm guessing its 3.0 im not sure..
case antec 300
corsair 850w modular

More about : motherboard 5870

July 4, 2010 3:37:25 AM

thanks looks good but the heatsink is right where the pci e slots are im going to look at the motherboard manuals and see if it makes the main ones (when you use crossfire with just two cards) are setup to where they avoid the southbridge like the formula, does anyone got the crosshair formula that I linked? I'm wondering what the ugys talking about in the review
I got one with the NB prob, so I took it apon my self to fix the standoffs, everythng is amazing now :-)
something bout a northbridge problem thats not good that controls most everything right lol
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2010 8:30:37 AM

does anyone have dual 5870's on any of these boards and if so are they sitting ontop of the southbridge or anything like that and waht type of effect is that having on stuff?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a c 117 V Motherboard
July 4, 2010 6:52:11 PM

If you read the reviews for the MSI 790FX-GD70 guys have dual 5850's and another guy had a 5870 just not xfire.
July 4, 2010 11:06:54 PM

which review bro I appreciate your help truely
m
l
July 5, 2010 2:27:03 AM

been reading more about the formulas problem with the northbridge ouch, might have to get one of those boards you listed even if it sits on the southbridge (the videocard) lol
m
l
July 6, 2010 8:39:42 AM

ya, looks like i'll be going with the msi if the tech that said my motherboard would work fine with this card can't sell me a formula that doesnt have a messed up northbridge over the phone im not gonna play tag with newegg anymore lolz
m
l
July 6, 2010 8:39:49 AM

Best answer selected by cmaki2008.
m
l
!