New hard drive??

Help - I have a HP Pavailion ZE 4400 laptop. It started making a
clicking noise last week. It is a solid click about every second or
so. My friend thinks my hard drive went sour. Unable to do anything -
no floppy but will not do a f2 or f8 or a f10. Unable to reinstall xp
will not read from cd. If it is a hard drive what should I look for in
a new one is their any way I can know for sure? - thanks for all your
help - greg
6 answers Last reply
More about hard drive

    A follow up the reason I dont think its the hard drive is it is making
    a clicking noise not a grinding noise. Thank you

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 02:14:34 GMT, Greg Hite <gregnospamhite@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Help - I have a HP Pavailion ZE 4400 laptop. It started making a
    >clicking noise last week. It is a solid click about every second or
    >so. My friend thinks my hard drive went sour. Unable to do anything -
    >no floppy but will not do a f2 or f8 or a f10. Unable to reinstall xp
    >will not read from cd. If it is a hard drive what should I look for in
    >a new one is their any way I can know for sure? - thanks for all your
    >help - greg

    Greg Hite <gregnospamhite@yahoo.com> wrote:
    : A follow up the reason I dont think its the hard drive is it is making
    : a clicking noise not a grinding noise. Thank you

    "Clicking" could indeed be a bad hard drive...

    Can you try to be more specific about what is happening? How about
    starting from the beginning:

    You turn on the laptop, and...what happens?

    Do you get a BIOS screen? Does anything appear on the screen?

    How do you know you can't boot to the CD drive? Perhaps this feature
    is disabled in the BIOS?

    Andrew

    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Clicking could very well be the hard drive.

    Remove the hard drive (you are going to have to do that anyway if it's
    bad), mount it in a desktop (using an adapter) as a 2nd drive, boot from
    your 1st drive and run some drive diagnostics (chkdsk, scandisk, Norton,
    Spin-rite, whatever) on the suspected bad drive.

    Greg Hite wrote:

    > A follow up the reason I dont think its the hard drive is it is making
    > a clicking noise not a grinding noise. Thank you
    >
    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 02:14:34 GMT, Greg Hite <gregnospamhite@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Help - I have a HP Pavailion ZE 4400 laptop. It started making a
    >>clicking noise last week. It is a solid click about every second or
    >>so. My friend thinks my hard drive went sour. Unable to do anything -
    >>no floppy but will not do a f2 or f8 or a f10. Unable to reinstall xp
    >>will not read from cd. If it is a hard drive what should I look for in
    >>a new one is their any way I can know for sure? - thanks for all your
    >>help - greg

    When I boot up I get a message to press esc to change boot order f2 to
    enter setup f10 to boot from lan - but I am unable to do anything
    and it starts clicking right away will not boot from the cd driver
    thank you greg

    On 29 Nov 2004 03:04:44 GMT, usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew)
    wrote:

    >Greg Hite <gregnospamhite@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >: A follow up the reason I dont think its the hard drive is it is making
    >: a clicking noise not a grinding noise. Thank you
    >
    >"Clicking" could indeed be a bad hard drive...
    >
    >Can you try to be more specific about what is happening? How about
    >starting from the beginning:
    >
    >You turn on the laptop, and...what happens?
    >
    >Do you get a BIOS screen? Does anything appear on the screen?
    >
    >How do you know you can't boot to the CD drive? Perhaps this feature
    >is disabled in the BIOS?
    >
    >Andrew
    >
    >: On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 02:14:34 GMT, Greg Hite <gregnospamhite@yahoo.com>
    >: wrote:
    >
    >: >Help - I have a HP Pavailion ZE 4400 laptop. It started making a
    >: >clicking noise last week. It is a solid click about every second or
    >: >so. My friend thinks my hard drive went sour. Unable to do anything -
    >: >no floppy but will not do a f2 or f8 or a f10. Unable to reinstall xp
    >: >will not read from cd. If it is a hard drive what should I look for in
    >: >a new one is their any way I can know for sure? - thanks for all your
    >: >help - greg
    >
    >Andrew

    Good suggestion are the adapters hard to find? - greg

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 03:15:53 GMT, Barry Watzman
    <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:

    >Clicking could very well be the hard drive.
    >
    >Remove the hard drive (you are going to have to do that anyway if it's
    >bad), mount it in a desktop (using an adapter) as a 2nd drive, boot from
    >your 1st drive and run some drive diagnostics (chkdsk, scandisk, Norton,
    >Spin-rite, whatever) on the suspected bad drive.
    >

    >Greg Hite wrote:
    >
    >> A follow up the reason I dont think its the hard drive is it is making
    >> a clicking noise not a grinding noise. Thank you
    >>
    >> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 02:14:34 GMT, Greg Hite <gregnospamhite@yahoo.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Help - I have a HP Pavailion ZE 4400 laptop. It started making a
    >>>clicking noise last week. It is a solid click about every second or
    >>>so. My friend thinks my hard drive went sour. Unable to do anything -
    >>>no floppy but will not do a f2 or f8 or a f10. Unable to reinstall xp
    >>>will not read from cd. If it is a hard drive what should I look for in
    >>>a new one is their any way I can know for sure? - thanks for all your
    >>>help - greg

    No, easy. On E-Bay or almost any computer parts supplier. inexpensive,
    also, under $10, often under $5

    Greg Hite wrote:

    > Good suggestion are the adapters hard to find? - greg
    >

    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 03:15:53 GMT, Barry Watzman
    > <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Clicking could very well be the hard drive.
    >>
    >>Remove the hard drive (you are going to have to do that anyway if it's
    >>bad), mount it in a desktop (using an adapter) as a 2nd drive, boot from
    >>your 1st drive and run some drive diagnostics (chkdsk, scandisk, Norton,
    >>Spin-rite, whatever) on the suspected bad drive.
    >>

    >>Greg Hite wrote:
    >>

    >>>A follow up the reason I dont think its the hard drive is it is making
    >>>a clicking noise not a grinding noise. Thank you

Laptops Hewlett Packard Hard Drives