jrobinson

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
I just built my first PC, but I can't seem to get the thing to boot.
The parts I'm using are
Asus M4A88t-V Motherboard
Raidmax 730w PSU
Asus HD 6850 video card
2x2g gskill memory sticks

Whenever I power the computer, everything starts up fine. The power supply fan spins and lights up, the cpu fan spins, the hard drive starts up, the LED on the front of the computer lights up, but I get no video, and I hear two short beeps.
I've set the the sticks of RAM individually in each slot, and that's about all I've tried. Since I'm new to building computers, I might have made a newbie mistake, but from what I've read online, two beeps is a motherboard issue.

Can anyone help me with what steps I should take to solve this issue?

Also, it's 5 AM, and I won't be back online until probably after 12 PM, so please do not think I've abandoned this thread, if I don't reply for a while.

jrobinson

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
I used the jumper to reset the cmos, and now I'm getting 1 beep then three consecutive beeps. I'm not sure if this is an improvement or something far worse. I removed the graphics card, and I'm getting video now, but I'm still getting the 3 short beeps.

sylmarils

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Try re-seating the ram into slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. I don't understand how are you getting video on the built in video or the plug in video card. Did you connect the +12 rail to the video card??

jrobinson

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
I've fixed my issues. I'm not entirely sure what all I did because a lot of it was guesswork, but my computer is up and running now aside from a problem with no sound. I'm making a separate thread for this issue though.