Sign in with
Your question

DOES PHOENIX/AWARD BIOS V6 00PG SUPPORT PHENOM PROCESSORS:?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2010 3:18:16 PM

CPUz Indicates I have a Winfast MCP61M2MA motherboard which upon searching doesn't appear to exist. On the board itself it says it is manufactured by Foxconn, so I went to their site as I required a BIOS update.

My board initially stated in the original bios ifo that it was an MCP61DM2MA but it didn't exist on their site, the closest was an MCP61PM2MA or an MCP61VM2MA. Anyway, I managed to successfully flash update my Bios to Phoenix / Award v 6.00pg. The board is socket AM2 (940) and supports 4 dimms.

The foxconn site says that the nearest boards to my model number only support 4GB RAM max, yet the kingston memory utility report that I can install 4x2GB DIMMS.

My questions are...Why is there so much confusion? I'm thinking of going down the 64bit route as my board and processor support that, and due to this really need a dead cert on the max memory capability of the board. Also, will my board support the Phenom x4 processors? Any answers would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Steve Smith.
October 17, 2010 3:20:01 PM

AM2 does support Phenom CPUs, just not the newest ones labeled AM3 only. Are you using an OEM PC from a name brand, those guys only provide BIOS updates from their own site.
October 17, 2010 6:35:03 PM

It also supports title case for topic titles.

Hope that helps!
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2010 11:37:39 PM

^ HOLY $HIT. Where have you been??????
October 17, 2010 11:38:39 PM

???????????????????
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2010 11:52:10 PM

^ TC is an old timer. Been here at Toms forever. He was MIA for the last few months. Many of us thought he was abducted by the NSA :lol: .
a c 113 à CPUs
October 18, 2010 12:30:43 AM

Quote:
CPUz Indicates I have a Winfast MCP61M2MA motherboard which upon searching doesn't appear to exist. On the board itself it says it is manufactured by Foxconn, so I went to their site as I required a BIOS update.

My board initially stated in the original bios ifo that it was an MCP61DM2MA but it didn't exist on their site, the closest was an MCP61PM2MA or an MCP61VM2MA. Anyway, I managed to successfully flash update my Bios to Phoenix / Award v 6.00pg. The board is socket AM2 (940) and supports 4 dimms.

The foxconn site says that the nearest boards to my model number only support 4GB RAM max, yet the kingston memory utility report that I can install 4x2GB DIMMS.

My questions are...Why is there so much confusion? I'm thinking of going down the 64bit route as my board and processor support that, and due to this really need a dead cert on the max memory capability of the board. Also, will my board support the Phenom x4 processors? Any answers would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Steve Smith.

The MCP61 is essentially an nVidia nForce4 chipset that has been around in various forms since 2004.

The motherboard may well *support* the original Phenoms and all other AM2+/AM3 processors, including Phenom IIs, with a BIOS update BUT that support will be highly limited due to the hardware limitations imposed by the mobo itself: weak FETs / power management, no split planes, reduced HT speeds, limited memory bandwidth & increased latency, etc.

It is highly doubtful, however, that it would support the unique nature of the x6 Thubans.

And if the OEM says it will only support up to 4GB of RAMs, that's it --- regardless of what Kingston says.
October 18, 2010 2:44:25 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ HOLY $HIT. Where have you been??????

Yo!

Had a kid in January and got promoted in June, I'm now a Windows System Engineer at a company that only buys Intel procs, yeah, I'm in heaven!

I miss you guys, just haven't had the time and energy. Plus, it doesn't seem the same, I only saw one AMD vs. Intel thread in the CPU section. If I can't come here and make fun of people for the processor preference, then what is the purpose of having a TC?

Has AMDFanGirl, Reynob, and JennyH been around? I miss the healthy debates (as I type this from a Dell Inspiron I bought back in May; it has a Celeron).
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2010 3:41:52 AM

JennyH I believe was banned. Raynod is still here mainly in the "News" and "Forum" sections. AFG is MIA. Haven't seen her is a while.

Congratz on the job and the kid btw.
!