CPU Parameter Recall C.P.R. (?)

WRV

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I have a 3 year old Asus P5N-D. I have been experimenting with some overclocking, and when I have an overclock failure, this CPR feature is not working for me as I understand it should.

My understanding is that an overclock failure resets the BIOS to default, and thereby allows successful reboot to stock BIOS settings.

With my Overclock failures, the PC does reboot with default BIOS parameters. However, If I then try to go into my Bios to make new BIOS changes, these changes will appear to accept and save into the BIOS screens, but these new saved changes will not "feed" to the motherboard! The motherboard continues to operate at stock settings unless and until I pull the CMOS battery and reset the jumper on the motherboardboard.

This is a major pain as the CMOS battery is underneath my Video Card. I understood the CPR function would preclude my needing to do all of this.

Am I doing something incorrectly?

Thank you.

sylmarils

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
I'm not familiar with you mobo but some need to be powered down for a while i.e unplug it from the socket. See if you run the latest BIOS. There must be also a reset jumper see manual so no need to remove battery. If there is move jumper power on and then power off . put jumper to its original position and you should have a reset. Some mobo's don't need the power on procedure .

sylmarils To reset the CMOS memory there is no need to remove the battery, simply move the reset CMOS link across and back again WITH THE POWER DISCONECTED. If you reset the CMOS memory with the power connected you can destroy your motherboard. No motherboard that has ever been made needs the power connected to clear the CMOS memory.

WRV

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002

I tried by powering off, removed the 110 v power cord, moved the jumper, waited 30 seconds, moved the jumper back. Powered up again and the BIOS did NOT reset. I had to pull the video card and remove the CMOS battery and then also move the jumper back and forth. Believe me I do not like that answer.

I wish the CPR feature would work for me- making all of this unecessary.