Sign in with
Your question

Is partitioning necessary?

Last response: in Storage
November 2, 2012 7:58:32 PM

many people have mixed opinions across the internet so i was hoping for a knowledgeable answer from one of you guys.
im mainly using my pc for gaming and storing music on, i will be backing it all up on an external HD as well as using icloud. therefore is it really necessary to partition into multiple drives???, if windows goes wrong and its all backed up i am not that bothered about completely formatting the hd.
many thanks

More about : partitioning

a c 317 G Storage
November 2, 2012 8:09:43 PM

IMO hard drive partitions are not necessary or useful. You can usually do a repair installation that saves your programs and data, just requiring all Windows updates to be re-installed. Between that and good backup practices, you should be fine.
November 2, 2012 8:17:00 PM

thanks realbeast, im new to all this, having just built my first gaming pc and its awesome!
i just want to check on everything im not sure on, another query i have is when installing hardware drivers will windows device manager be reliable and offer the latest drivers or should i go directly to the manufactures website and manually download it from there?
Related resources
November 2, 2012 8:27:08 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning#Benefits...

Partitioning is most useful if you have large amount of free hard drive space, and want to squeeze extra read/write performance out of a mechanical hard drive.

It is not recommended if the HDD is close to full, as partitioning tends to use space less efficiently.
a b G Storage
November 2, 2012 9:09:37 PM

I usually partition and put the O/S in its own section. Then I can image it for backups to an external drive or reinstall the O/S with out affecting the rest of the drive.
a b G Storage
November 6, 2012 1:41:47 PM

Personally i think its a good idea considering 1TB hard drives are getting more recognition as primary OS drives. I have a 500GB hard drive partitioned so the OS portion has 100GB on it. I don't like storing any or much data on the primary system as i think it clutters it up and causes more wear from excess info. I only defrag my OS partition and the last thing i really want for it to take longer because i have 50GB of music or 150GB of tv shows/movies or whatever files that would be more ideal on a seperate drive.

It isn't recommended though if your hard drive is already full. I find the performance starts to hinder when you have less then 30% of free space. Defragmenting takes longer and less space for the hard drive to locate an empty section & store any info quickly. In fact i prefer data on an entirely separate drive, at least the most common data usage to prevent the drive to multitask too often.
a c 317 G Storage
November 6, 2012 1:52:51 PM

littleleo said:
I usually partition and put the O/S in its own section. Then I can image it for backups to an external drive or reinstall the O/S with out affecting the rest of the drive.
Reinstall your OS in a separate partition and all of your programs will still have to be installed again. Repair install makes that all unnecessary.

As far as drivers, I almost always go to the motherboard manufacturer site to get the latest, same for video drives -- go to the AMD or NVIDIA site as they are always out of date of the CD.
!