two computer, one Internet cable


I've got an annoying problem. I live in a Student Flat with my gf and my landlord lives next door. blablabla. Anyway the landlord decided he would share his 3mb connection. Here is the link if you need to look at it
Anyway he drilled a hole in the wall and stuck a cable in to connect to my computer. Everything was dandy and the Internet worked fine, didn't have to assign an IP or nothing it was done automatically.
However, now I want to connect my gf's computer up as well. Although i can't get him to send another cable in. I bought another NIC and cross over cable thinking I could bridge the two NIC's (the one with the Internet cable and the one with the cross over cable connecting to my gf's computer). However I get a message constantly saying "an unexpected error occured while configuring the network bridge". Also unless I maually assign an IP address to the second NIC it won't connect... says limited or no connectivity. Is this even possible what I'm trying to do? Can someone please help me. I have limited knowledge when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Thank you.

Flunders<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flunders on 10/10/04 09:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
2 answers Last reply
More about computer internet cable
  1. Use a router, like DL-604 for around 30 bucks.
    Then you will also have a hardware firewall.

    <font color=red> And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
    So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign </font color=red>
  2. I assume your landlord is using a router to give you a connection? If that is the case buy a switch so that you and your girlfriend both can get online.
Ask a new question

Read More

Connection Computers Cable Internet Networking