Sign in with
Your question

Hi. I have an Emachine, and it's been making clicking noises

Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2010 3:29:47 PM

Hi. I have a Emachine model EL1210-9 and for a few weeks its been making these weird clicking noises when I turn it on. It stops after a bit, and everything has been working perfectly. But today it also made this weird whining noise that lasted for a few seconds. Everything is still fine, but I'm extremely worried about the computer. Is this a sign of some damaged or faulty components?

Thanks for reading and thanks for answering. :) 
August 9, 2010 4:13:33 PM

It could be hard drives failing or maybe just a fan that is on its way out. Take off the side panel and see if you can make out where the sound is coming from. You can put your finger on each of the fans and stop it for a second to see if they are making the sound. If the fans are not the culprits you can take a paper towel tube and use it to listen to the hard drives and around the inside of the case to try and locate the sound. If the sound is coming from the hard drives, back up everything asap.
m
l
August 9, 2010 7:40:38 PM

Excellent advice adaman2576! Clicking sounds are almost always impending hard drive failure warnings.
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2010 8:29:54 PM

Ubrales said:
Excellent advice adaman2576! Clicking sounds are almost always impending hard drive failure warnings.

Thanks Ubrales! I was the victim of a hard drive failure a few years ago after hearing clicking noises. It's not fun loosing all your data... Now I always do backups and run two drives in raid 1.
m
l
August 9, 2010 10:16:06 PM

adaman2576 said:
Thanks Ubrales! I was the victim of a hard drive failure a few years ago after hearing clicking noises. It's not fun loosing all your data... Now I always do backups and run two drives in raid 1.

Excellent! That's exactly what I have and what I do - two Seagate 1 TB HDDs in RAID1 dedicated for data, and I backup the entire system every month.

My laptop HDD started clicking sounds, and very quickly I cloned the HDD and upgraded the capacity at the same time using Apricorn's hardware and software. "EZ UPgrade" for the laptop, and "Drivewire" for the desktop.
m
l
August 10, 2010 3:15:13 AM

Anything else I can do besides back up the hard drive?
m
l
!