1155 Single DIMM

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I ordered the Asrock P67 Extreme4 LGA1155 motherboard yesterday (although it won't come in the post for a while :ange: ). I'm going to be ordering the cheap Pentium G620 or maybe G840 CPU, and possibly upgrade at a later date to something like the i5 2500K. I made the mistake with my last build of ordering a very cheap motherboard and reasonably expensive components (ie. I can't upgrade the box).

Alongside this motherboard and CPU, I've got a choice over what RAM to get (I already have a stop-gap graphics card and a halfway house hard drive). There's the Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A 2x2GB kit, and the CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB dimm. They both cost about the same. I was thinking maybe I could get the 4GB dimm, and then at a later date buy another one, for a grand total of eight gigs? The main issues would be whether I'd see any noticeable performance handicap with just a single dimm installed on sandy bridge (dual channel memory controller of course), or whether it would support it at all (any first hand experiences with this setup would be great).

Besides, I'm contemplating whether I would ever want eight gigs. I make films, however I edit them on an eight core machine at a studio, so this PC probably won't see any serious video editing done in its lifetime. What is more, that eight core machine has 4GB and it seems to do the job fine. I had 4GB in the other machine I mentioned at the beginning of this post for a while, and did actually manage to make it swap a few times (with Linux on minimum swappiness settings), things like VMs are the killer. I guess with eight gigs I could make a 5GB RAM drive and still have access to three gigs for the rest of the system. Thing is, it's only these sort of situations that I could contemplate not being happy with 4GB. But then, on the other hand if there aren't any major performance or reliability concerns with 1x4GB setup then I might aswell get the chance to upgrade to more if it costs the same.

Anyway, cheers :p

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Alright, I'm set on the Corsair 2x2GB 1333MHz kit once my old PC gets sold, as it only costs £32.42 from amazon :D

I could always upgrade to 12GB in the future :eek: with a config like that I could probably run VMs off RAM disks :lol: