Will i5 RAM work on an i3 CPU

toneal

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
I have an Intel Core i3 CPU and I have 8G of RAM but it says it is listed for an i5 or i7 CPU. Will it still work? If so what are the limitations if any, if not, what will happen?

RAM isnt made for a specific CPU, the kits that say they are for i5's and i7's are listed as such because the new intel CPU memory controllers burn out at over 1.65V, previously there had been kits that ran at 1.9V which is safe for the memory, and for AMD memory controllers but not for Intel ones. Memory listed as being for i5's and i7's will work perfectly fine with an i3.

toneal

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Thanks very much for the info. In follow up.. I was getting a blue screen but now that I have adjusted the bios from Turbo to standard speed and so far I have not gotten a blue screen. Do you think the turbo setting may be an issue for my configuration?

socratesx

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

It could be as turbo or any other BIOS performance enhance setting may cause instability of the system. Some computer parts just cannot follow the dynamic performance fluctuations and fail causing a BSOD. I usually keep all these auto performace settings off to avoid such situations.