Sign in with
Your question

My hard drive is FAR too loud!

Last response: in Storage
November 3, 2012 2:12:57 AM

What can I do for a noisy hard drive? It's been driving me nuts.

I have a Coolmaster HAF 912 case with a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB hard drive.

Any time it reads/writes it's really loud and has been since I bought it about 6 months ago.

I don't think it's on its last legs, just it has always been noisy :-(

More about : hard drive loud

November 3, 2012 6:39:57 AM

Black's are always a bit noisy, but they are some of the best out there. I have an HAF X with blacks and find that they are noisy, so don't worry.

The best you could do is probably put some padding around them if it's really bothering you.
m
l
November 8, 2012 8:58:32 PM

What kind of padding?
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2012 10:27:14 PM

Well, that's just the drive. It may help if you place a padding around the drive but the only other option is just to get a new one, well that or live with it.
m
l
November 17, 2012 1:41:24 AM

Snaketank said:
What can I do for a noisy hard drive? It's been driving me nuts.

I have a Coolmaster HAF 912 case with a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB hard drive.

Any time it reads/writes it's really loud and has been since I bought it about 6 months ago.

I don't think it's on its last legs, just it has always been noisy :-(

I just got the Cooler Master HAF912 and I can confirm you that the hard drive itself isn't the problem. I don't have the same WD model, but mine was just fine in my Antec Nine Hundred, but in the HAF912, it's noisy as there isn't much to insulate the vibrations of the HD from the case itself. It's installed in the bottom section as I removed the upper one. I'll check it this weekend to find a way to make it shut up :p 
m
l
!