Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why does my fps randomly spike?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 3, 2010 7:42:38 PM

Hi, I have a question about my fps, while playing a game usually it is 50-60 fps. Then just randomly throughout the game it drops down to 20 and lower, anyone have any ideas as to why it does this? I just bought a fairly new laptop, like half a year old, and it is running on windows 7 if that means anything. Everything was working well got a new fan because the original one wasn't working well, then everything was smooth up until recently like a month ago, now while playing games it drops at random causing lag making it hard to play. Anyone have any ideas or ways to fix?

More about : fps randomly spike

a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2010 7:46:48 PM

check and see what processes are running in the background. Set priority for the game to high. Are you talking about online games?
Score
July 3, 2010 7:49:25 PM

Yea, it's this one League of Legends, I play it fairly often and this just started happening. It was all good, now it just randomly drops for several seconds to a minute or two.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2010 8:10:34 PM

Well, laptops generally aren't that great for PC games in the first place. It would help to know what laptop you have though. If for instance, you need more RAM, it could be slowing down due to data swaps with the hard drive.
Score
July 3, 2010 8:46:02 PM

Windows 7 64bit / Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20 GHz / RAM 6 GB / Video Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

Is That enough info? It was a standard Video Card that came with the laptop, I ugraded the ram and processor to what I could afford, there was no option to upgrade the video card.
Score
July 3, 2010 8:49:05 PM

That should be enough for LoL, what settings are you running on
Score
July 3, 2010 8:59:54 PM

I have the character quality high, resolution max, and everything else on low. Everything was good till about a month ago, then my fps started to randomly drop. It's still playable just gets hard when im carrying an start to lag an die all the time..
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2010 10:05:23 PM

Does this game have an online element to it? I've never played it, so I wasn't sure if perhaps you were playing over the internet with other folks.

If you are, and you're using a WiFi connection (wireless internet) that could easily be your problem.

If that's not the issue, and this all started a month ago, my next question would be "What changed on your laptop/system a month ago?" Software updates? New programs? Etc..
Score
July 4, 2010 1:31:27 AM

It is an online game and I play it with WiFi, as for changing, nothing has really, maybe just random software updates that start when I shut down. Other then that not sure.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2010 1:46:48 AM

WiFi is usually not good for anything that combines online and gaming. :)  Unless you can hook the laptop up directly to your router (by wire) I'd be looking at Wireless latency issues as the problem.

If you hook it up directly, and the problem goes away...

If you hook it up directly, and the problem remains, well then obviously something is still wrong.
July 6, 2010 5:48:46 PM

Best answer selected by sofired7.
Score
!