Check for Compatibility Please

schu65

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hey plan on building this, I got the whole idea from a Pc Gamer Magazine and kinda switched out some of the parts for companies that I like. I just wanted to have it looked over for compatibility before I bought it. Let me know if there is anything that is not gonna work please. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for an aftermarket cooler for the CPU let me know. I looked at some but it seems with the mobo and ram selection there isn't enough room, so if you have found a way around it let me know what I can do. Thanks for all advice, help, and time spent in advice. Everything is being bought from Newegg. I will consider upgrades or higher priced parts, within reason so if you have a better part and good reason let me know.

1. SILVERSTONE Fortress Series FT02B-W Black Aluminum / Steel Computer Case
2. ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
3. ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
5. CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
6. OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE90G 2.5" 90GB SATA II MLC Internal
7. AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
8. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full
9. ASUS Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-08B1ST
10. G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel
11. Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Digital Speaker System
12. XFX HD-597A-CNB9 Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
13. Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
You really don't need the sound card. Modern onboard sound is very good. At minimum, get the system without, and then if you find the sound lacking, you can always add a sound card later. I have the Crosshair IV, and the sound seems great to me.

You don't need 8 GB RAM for gaming, 4 GB is all you need. Additionally, the Dominators cost more than equivalent sticks. You should be able to get a quality 1600 MHz CL7 kit from G.Skill or Mushkin for less. Or if those are unavailable/you're limited to Corsair, look for the Corsair XMS3 line. Timings (the CAS Latency or CL) are more important for AMD builds than the clock speed (1866 vs. 1600 MHz, etc.).

The 1090T doesn't provide any noticeable increase in gaming performance over the Phenom II X4 955/965...certainly not $100+ worth of performance.

At 120 GB, the best SSD choice is the OCZ Vertex 2 (overall performance), the Agility 2 (performance/value blend), or the Corsair Nova 128 GB (value).

Anandtech's SSD Relapse - a good overview of the technology, but a few months old, so the product recommendations are a bit dated.
bit-tech SSD Buyer's Guide - pretty recent, good overview of the various controllers
techreport article on SSD value - recent, includes comparisons vs. traditional HDDs.

You also appear to be missing a graphics card, unless my eyes are fooling me. Given your (assumed) budget, I'd look at either getting a 5870 (with plans to CrossFire later) or a 5970.

Check Frostytech's top "5" heatsinks for HSF recommendations. The Noctua NH-D14 is regarded as one of the best coolers. I chose the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme for my Crosshair IV/Phenom II X4 build, as it was one of the few coolers on that list that fit in my narrow full tower. The Hyper 212+ is well-regarded as a budget cooler, it's $30 on amazon & tigerdirect, but $50 on newegg (so don't buy it from newegg, you might as well buy an expensive one at that price).

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
You don't need a sound card first of all

second, AMD and NVIDIA don't work that great together

third, 3d vision is a waste for the price

fourth, you don't need 8 gigs of ram, save your money and get 4

fifth, what graphics card are you getting?

I would recommend the NH-D14 cpu cooler, its great and big and awesome and "cool" :)

but you need to get some ram w/o those huge heatspreaders

schu65

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Oh ya, any better monitors around that size or will that one be sufficient? Also from what I can tell most of the cables and connectors will be coming with what I purchased or am I missing some that I need to acquire?

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
You could just as easily get the Phenom II X4 955 and save a little bit of money, and then adjust the multiplier in the BIOS to match the speed of the 965.

I don't think you need the monitor with the built-in speakers, especially if you're getting a 5.1 sound system. Also, although I have a 1920x1200 monitor myself, they're getting harder to find and they're more expensive than 1920x1080.

This ASUS 23.6" monitor is only $190. The next step up is a 27", and they start in the $300+ range. There are also a number of 23" monitors at about the same price as the one linked.

Alternatively, you could get an LED backlit Acer 23" for $250 (black bezel is $10 more).

In general, monitors are a pretty mature technology, and you won't see a ton of difference aside from the features (tilt, swivel, speakers, etc.) and the initial brightness/color settings. To paraphrase (uh-oh, I've forgotten...probably banthracis) someone, asking which monitor is best is a lot like walking into Office Depot and asking which of the yellow #2 pencils is best.

EDIT: Yes, unless you buy a ton of extra HDDs, you should have enough cables included with the motherboard & PSU for everything.

schu65

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I bought tri channel f3-12800 cl8tu gskill ram. I just recieved them in the mail and right on the case it says for intel core iz cpus. This will not run with my amd processor that i posted up top will it?

TRENDING THREADS