Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$2000 build help with parts

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 9, 2010 6:52:51 PM

Cheap ODD
Spinpoint F3
Crosshair IV
XFX HD5970
G.Skill Eco
Phenom II x6 1090t
Windows 7
NH-D14
SSD 30gb
Haf X & 1000w GOLD

I know you guys will say, the 1000w is overkill
And i know you guys will say get a corsair or w/e PSU

1) 1000w is for quadfire in future
2) It has a five year warranty and i like cooler master PSU's

OVERCLOCKING? Hellz yeah

CROSSFIRE? no, quadfire :) 

COUNTRY? USA

RESOLUTION? 1080p (1920x1080)

if you don't like something just say it!

For gaming, video editing and gaming

-Mr. Pizza


EDIT!!!! srry i meant $2200 XD
EDIT!!!! AMD ONLY!!!!!!

More about : 2000 build parts

August 9, 2010 7:00:37 PM

1000W is overkill. You only need 850W to add a second 5970. You also realize that you picked a Corsair PSU right? It's one of their Pro lines, which is overly expensive.

Here's a better $2,200 build:

CPU/Mobo: i7-930 and Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R $484
RAM: G.Skill Trident 3x2 GB 2000 mhz CAS Latency 9 $185
GPU: HD 5970 $650
SSD: OCZ Agility 2 120 GB $290 after rebate
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $75
Case/OS: HAF 922 and Windows $180
PSU/Optical: Corsair 850W Modular and Cheap SATA DVD burner $168 after rebate
HSF: Noctua NH-D14 $90

Total: $2,122
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 7:01:45 PM

MadAdmiral said:
1000W is overkill. You only need 850W to add a second 5970. You also realize that you picked a Corsair PSU right? It's one of their Pro lines, which is overly expensive.

Here's a better $2,200 build:

CPU/Mobo: i7-930 and Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R $484
RAM: G.Skill Trident 3x2 GB 2000 mhz CAS Latency 9 $185
GPU: HD 5970 $650
SSD: Intel X25-M 80 GB $219
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $75
Case/OS: HAF 922 and Windows $180
PSU: Corsair 850W Modular $160 after rebate
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $20
HSF: Noctua NH-D14 $90

Total: $2,083

i wonder how that got in the picture...
oh and, i want AMD for bulldozer, the 1366 is dying :) 
G.SKILL tridents do not fit under the NH-D14
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 9, 2010 7:07:21 PM

Ok... so going off what's there now...

The HAF X is a waste of a good $110. It's just like the other HAF cases, just twice as expensive.

The X6 isn't a great choice. It's mostly worse than the i7-930, and can cost a lot more. The board you picked is also crazy expensive. You'd actually SAVE money getting an i7, which should never happen.

A 30 GB SSD is worthless. You'll have 8 GB of space left ater the OS and the require free space. That's not even enough for most games.

EDIT: Here's your changes for AMD. No reason to get a top of the line CPU if you're planning on replacing it.

CPU/Mobo: X4 955 and Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 $285 after rebate (with free game)
RAM/PSU: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 and Corsair 850W $185 after rebate. Not modular, but a great combo.
Share
August 9, 2010 7:09:55 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Ok... so going off what's there now...

The HAF X is a waste of a good $110. It's just like the other HAF cases, just twice as expensive.

The X6 isn't a great choice. It's mostly worse than the i7-930, and can cost a lot more. The board you picked is also crazy expensive. You'd actually SAVE money getting an i7, which should never happen.

A 30 GB SSD is worthless. You'll have 8 GB of space left ater the OS and the require free space. That's not even enough for most games.

Alright what bout this ssd
EDIT: well ok ill get the 955, but i'm staying with that crosshair iv, newest chipset, lots of features worth it to meh. I will go with the HX850 fine, and the 955. and the jipjaws, thanks admiral :) 
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 7:12:13 PM

Found a better board for the 5970: X4 955 and Asus M4N98TD Evo $275.

You've got the budget for a bigger one. The Intel 80 GB one is only $215, and the one I posted is only $290.
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 7:16:34 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Found a better board for the 5970: X4 955 and Asus M4N98TD Evo $275.

You've got the budget for a bigger one. The Intel 80 GB one is only $215, and the one I posted is only $290.


ha, you're kiddding rite? Nvidia chipset :lol: 
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 7:26:24 PM

MadAdmiral said:
It's a good board.

ha..haha..hahaha but theres no Crossfire Support! no usb 3 support, no sata III support! nvidia chipset! *twitch*
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 7:28:31 PM

It doesn't need to specifically say Crossfire support. Crossfire is generally always supported. It's SLI that's not there. All AMD chipsets natively support Crossfire.
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 7:32:08 PM

MadAdmiral said:
It doesn't need to specifically say Crossfire support. Crossfire is generally always supported. It's SLI that's not there. All AMD chipsets natively support Crossfire.

im talkin about this board, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it has SLI

the other board (m4a89td) is like the crosshair formulas little brother :p  I really want the crosshair iv, my budget allows and the board is future proof
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 7:36:07 PM

I was also talking about that board. Unlike SLI, Crossfire is just supported across the board. It doesn't need anything special for it.

That's fine. I'm just offering suggestions.
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 7:38:55 PM

MadAdmiral said:
I was also talking about that board. Unlike SLI, Crossfire is just supported across the board. It doesn't need anything special for it.

That's fine. I'm just offering suggestions.

yeah, thats why you are going to selected as best answer!
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 7:39:11 PM

Best answer selected by Mr Pizza.
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 7:45:42 PM

Mr Pizza said:
Alright what bout this ssd


At 60-64 GB, get an OCZ Vertex 2. Unlike other SSDs (including the C300), the controller used in the Vertex 2 does not lose speed as the size of the SSD is reduced.

Some light reading:
Anandtech's SSD Relapse - a good overview of the technology, but a few months old, so the product recommendations are a bit dated.
bit-tech SSD Buyer's Guide - pretty recent, good overview of the various controllers
techreport article on SSD value - recent, includes comparisons vs. traditional HDDs.
m
0
l
!